Head flicking

Abbi1988

Nov 12, 2019
Hi all. I have had my horse a year and 3 months so have done the 4 seasons with him and we have had no issues what so ever at the end of September I noticed he started to flick his head every so often. Anyone else had this come out at the start of the winter period ? I have put a nose net on and it maybe helps a little bit.

Mine does this sporadically - my theory is midges - we had a very mild damp September, but I had stopped putting his ear mask on, and I think they were getting in his ears. Even a few days ago, I was riding through clouds of them - cue head shaking.

Thank you for the welcome ‍♀️
It's a head flick down and in towards his chest just the once sometimes he will do it 5/6 times in a hour ride other times its once very odd ... I may try some ears didnt think of that idea thank you

That does sound like a head shaker. If your on Facebook. There are a couple of really good head shaker groups. Some people have posted up videos of theres. Theres also loads of info on what people have tried.
With headshaking it seems to be a trial and error thing. No one solution fits all horses.

Sounds like midges or could be pollen. Trial and error see what helps.
This is the first year I have taken the ear cover off mine and she's been fine. She's just easily annoyed and she's matured.

newrider.com