Head Carriage Question?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Do Fresians tend to have a high head carriage? I went to visit some today and I might, that's a might book a ride. But what stood out to me was how high the head was.

Yes, from what I've seen of them they do. I actually think that if you look at them their neck almost looks like it is set at a different angle from most other horses.

They do tend to have a high head carriage seems to be part of the breed.
Im interested to know though as they are one of my favourite breeds,what 'type' did they have the old fashioned or the newer version? Heres a pic of what i mean.uploadfromtaptalk1394992433324.jpg

They do look to me like they do and I have heard their trot is a challenge to sit to - not sure how true that bit is though. Lovely looking creatures.

I think they're a good example of selective breeding, the things that characterise the breed (the head carriage, the long back, the "uphill" build) seem to have got more and more extreme. I don't like them if I'm honest, to look at I mean. I've met four or five and they were all lovely characters but of the three I rode I didn't find any of them very comfortable - especially in trot, it's SO bouncy it actually hurt my back.

There's a good history of the breed on here -
http://www.friesianhorsesociety.com/Friesian_history.html

I think they're a good example of selective breeding, the things that characterise the breed (the head carriage, the long back, the "uphill" build) seem to have got more and more extreme. I don't like them if I'm honest, to look at I mean. I've met four or five and they were all lovely characters but of the three I rode I didn't find any of them very comfortable - especially in trot, it's SO bouncy it actually hurt my back.

There's a good history of the breed on here -
http://www.friesianhorsesociety.com/Friesian_history.html

Ah so I haven't dreamt it about the trot!
When I was looking for a horse years ago I had a bit of a look at them but they were way out of my price bracket - they started at £4,000 and that would have only bought me a very green youngster. They have changed too - the ones I loved the look of as a child have more or less been bred out.

I don't like them much, but have seen one or two nice ones, some of them are awfully long in the back and weak looking, I like the shorter coupled ones.

There is someone locally who rides one and Bud and I have hacked out with it, it has a very nice head carriage, not high, more like a Spanish horse, and is very sensible. It looks a very sensitive ride. It can trot very very fast though, very active. But he says it is very comfortable to ride.

Ironically I was offered one on loan the night before I bought Bud! It was a hard decision as it was a young barefoot mare, well trained, just not go-ey enough for the owners.

Suze's trainer works with friesians.

They used to use them in circus acts because they were so trainable - well that's what I remember reading. They also use them a fair bit for film and tv work.

Does anyone remember Pengapenga who used to be on here? She had a lovely stallion called Frits - he was a fine looking chap.

Yes, all the Friesian owners I've met say they are very trainable horses. The ones I've met were all pretty dim, maybe that's why!

They do tend to have a high head carriage seems to be part of the breed.
Im interested to know though as they are one of my favourite breeds,what 'type' did they have the old fashioned or the newer version? Heres a pic of what i mean.View attachment 48040

Hard to say, I would think two were the old type. The youngster is to make 17hh and thought, jeez look at that neck!!! I know mine has a neck on her and if set you are screwed. I actually didn't feel drawn to those.
It would depend if my riding is up to standard, they maybe too much horse for me.

newrider.com