He likes me!!!

lala1984

Sep 15, 2009
Sunny surrey!! :-)
I have been sharing a lovely 22 year old Anglo Arab cross for the past month. When I went to view him I was unsure due to some issues he has stemming from a not so good past. I have posted about this before and due to some encouragement from lovely people on here and the owner who is great I decided to take him on 3 days a week.

Well for the first couple of weeks when I turned up at the yard he would turn his bum towards me and ignore me, well better than him trying to nip me I suppose!! I could go into his stable with him and muck out around him, although you could see he wasn't overly impressed with me being there. It took a few attempts to get a headcollar on him in the stable and out in the field, he can be very headshy due to his past. He generally wasn't interested in me in any way.

Then a couple of weeks ago we had a breakthrough!! I went to get him in from the field and as soon as he saw me he came trotting over and put his head into the head collar for me! (This is the horse that was letting me get close enough to put his head collar on then turning away and pointing his bum at me a couple of days before!)

Now every morning when I get to the yard he calls for me as soon as he knows I'm there and even snuffles my sleeves and my coat when I go over to see him in his stable. Now when I go to get him from the field he comes trotting over and wants to come with me. I think he has decided that I'm not really that bad and I think he likes me now :D

Cookies to anyone that got this far, but as you might have guessed I'm really happy that this 'miserable old git', as I used to call him, now wants me to be there and calls for me when I walk away from his stable! (well unless I've just fed him lol)

That's brilliant. It feels so good when they seem happy to see you.

You must be doing something right for him to feel secure and happy with you, particularly if he's had a dodgy past.

Well done - onward and upward!:)

Last edited:
Thats nice - sounds like he's getting to know you and likes what he knows!!! Its horrid at first when they do the bum turning thingy!!! Our STorm used to ignore me and turn her bum to me all the time, and hated being groomed etc. Its taken a while to get where we are now!

Tahnks guys, I knew you would understand my excitement!! I have told the OH and he just says 'oh really' and pretends to be interested but he doesn't really like horses so doesn't undestand

I think that's fab and also in such a short space of time too. It took me till February from August for Tia to start whinnying at me in the field! Before then she'd sometimes come over, but it was a bit hit and miss! And grooming she was a right grumpy old mare till recently! Well done..

Ok, whats your secret?!!!:D
I'm obviously doing something wrong, its been eight months and all I get is a lazy walk, stopping five times to just stare at me.

Is that to come over to you? Tia is sometimes rather slow, it depends whether she's hungry or if the weather's bad I think. At other times, she'll whinny and get all excited - then the other horses will start and they'll all canter over in a melee...she does get a treat at the end though I'm afraid...:eek:

Ok, whats your secret?!!!:D
I'm obviously doing something wrong, its been eight months and all I get is a lazy walk, stopping five times to just stare at me.

i wouldn't worry about that. Last week Izzy made me walk all the way down to the bottom of the field and I nearly fell over about 5 times with all the mud. Then when I got to about 10 yards away he trotted over like he hadn't seen me calling for 10 minutes at the bleeding gate! And I haven't heard Izzy whinny once yet in 8 months - maybe he doesn't whinny.:rolleyes:

Is that to come over to you? Tia is sometimes rather slow, it depends whether she's hungry or if the weather's bad I think. At other times, she'll whinny and get all excited - then the other horses will start and they'll all canter over in a melee...she does get a treat at the end though I'm afraid...:eek:

Yeah! He's a big lump, maybe just lazy!! He's cantered over twice in eight months and only comes over for food. He actually walks round me in an arc and heads for the hay bale - right where he gets fed. Maybe I should start the treat thing as well! :rolleyes:

i wouldn't worry about that. Last week Izzy made me walk all the way down to the bottom of the field and I nearly fell over about 5 times with all the mud. Then when I got to about 10 yards away he trotted over like he hadn't seen me calling for 10 minutes at the bleeding gate! And I haven't heard Izzy whinny once yet in 8 months - maybe he doesn't whinny.:rolleyes:

Yeah Tiga - they have a sense of humour don't they!! all innocent and unaware sometimes! I whistled as normal the other day, he was facing the other way, I saw the ear go but he kept munching away. About two minutes after that he slowly turned round and started lumbering towards me. No hurry mate!! I thought the same about the whinnying, however if I go near the yard with him he whinnys in response to a particular horse way up on the hill(one he's never actually met).

I've known the two horses in the field next door to Flip for about seven months and fed them twice. I drive past with my window down and say 'hi boys' and I get a chorus of whinnys!
Sorry OP I hijacked your thread, I'm just convinced some horses are more expressive than others, probably a bit like humans?!!

I'm feeling very naughty as it's Thursday before a lonnnnngggg weekend off work. :p:p:p So I will wait for my telling off but... What always works for me is Polo's....Love, what ever, FOOOD is the 1 thought my guys have. Started going to gate and calling to get the look "Yeah, What Ever!!" so armed with polo's would walk up to said horsey and offer a treat, sudden interest, I'd then walk away without giving up the treat..amazing, followed like little lamb. Once at gate, head coller on, treat, out, stable etc... took about 2 weeks and now, i only have to shout and up they come. Most of the time there are now no treat, but they don't know and come in hope...(okay, bullet resistant jacket on!:D:D)

That was such a lovely post to read and it's great that you are starting to build a relationship up with this horse. I know how good it feels - my old loan horse used to pretty much ignore me in the beginning, but I spent so much time grooming and fussing over her, pretty soon she started waiting for me by the gate and making little 'nicker' noises when she saw me. It was so rewarding and I felt so pleased that she seemed to enjoy spending time with me. It's great that you are starting to build a bond - I hope that it continues to develop.

newrider.com