He is here - my last ever, ever, ever horse ..again! Size update :)

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Well he is here and he is biiiig, didnt look so big until I see him along side Dolly ....he makes the Doll look like a pony lol! torrential rain and all he wanted to do was eat, Bertie donkey consumed with jealousy and Dolly not at all sure she want this big fellah near her little donkeys I am in love already, I did ask did they actually lie about his height when I tried him and kept saying I am sure he is bigger than 16.2 - .......they just laughed as you do ;) <3 99214 at all! :O

What a very handsome chap! At least he's a practical colour so if you can't reach to groom his top bits it won't matter so much :D

He seriously is very good looking, I hope you have lots of good adventures together.

Is that Bertie in the foreground? Does he actually have stripy legs? That is a lovely photo.

yes thats Bertie with the Zonkey leg stripes Bodshi, he is just losing the last of his heavy coat (cushings) and they are striped right down to his little hooves. Yep - first thing that occurred to me so easy to keep reasonably clean, but incredibly when you start to groom him he literally drops his head and neck down to help you, same when you tack him up! :D

• Love
Reactions: Bodshi
Very big - but dont be too sure he will be your last. Am currently trying out a share but was thinking that, If I want to continue riding throughout my eighties it might be necessary to buy a horse

Reactions: Cortrasna
He's sooooooooo handsome. But he is enormous! Are you going to take a small step ladder on hacks, just in case?

ETA Dolly looks as though she fancies him something rotten

No he's the same size. It's because he is closer to the camera, on a slope, leaning. Dark colours look bigger.
Na he's 16.3hh what's an inch. ;) :p

What breed is in there any ideas?

• Haha
No he's the same size. It's because he is closer to the camera, on a slope, leaning. Dark colours look bigger.
Na he's 16.3hh what's an inch. ;) :p

What breed is in there any ideas?

Well they tell me he is 16.2 but Dolly is 16 so I think they told me a wee porkie so not to put me off going to look at him as I had insisted nothing over 16.2! yes breed is known - Tb X ID...nice cross but he came out somewhat heavier built than expected I think, the dam an old fashioned NH type and the sire a very big built old fashioned ID - and out popped Miller Half Draft :) I will measure him later today and let see what he really is. (y)

Reactions: MrC
at the end of the day his size doesn't really matter if you can get on. I wanted a 15hh or so or even 14hh chunk and ended up with Buddy who is 16hh, but now I am used to him I don't feel that he is big. A big twit but not big sizewise.

Reactions: newforest
I think height does matter. I dont yet suffer with my ankles but it can be a shock sometimes how far it is to drop to the ground when dismounting if the horse is over 16 hands. And falling at speed from a powerfully muscled horse is worse than my tumbles from Maisie.

Size really doesn't matter to be honest. I can't mount anything from the ground now because of my hips anyway - and I have to dismount onto my mounting block too. However when I tried him i did try getting off without one as obviously I need to be able to do that in an emergency when out hacking. Found it easier than on off Dolly to be honest, used his broad neck and withers to hang on to and slide my way down, he was very obliging and slowly lowered his head to assist!

As for falling off, well frankly you can hurt yourself coming off anything - broke my neck coming off a 14.2 and on the other hand had a few tumble's off big horses over 16 hands and only bruised and a bit battered, so its all in the lap of the Gods and at the end of the day it is a high risk hobby. .

I think height does matter. I dont yet suffer with my ankles but it can be a shock sometimes how far it is to drop to the ground when dismounting if the horse is over 16 hands. And falling at speed from a powerfully muscled horse is worse than my tumbles from Maisie.
I do the slither down from the saddle from Buddy to protect my ankles and knees. And so far he hasn't managed to dump me

Ooh he’s gorgeous, no wonder Dolly is fluttering her eye lashes at him.
Congrats Cortrasna, here’s to many fun and happy years with him x

:p Size doesn't matter if you are happy.
I actually feel how we measure is outdated and misleading anyway, as some don't have much wither.
His build will automatically make him bigger. We take up the whole lane.
Guesstimate 16.3hh

Yes he is high withered too NF so doesn't actually feel too enormous when you are up there on him...I am going for spot on 17h - let you know later ;)

newrider.com