HC and Dolly; first '07 update! *Warning* LONG!

HairyCob

Has anyone seen my mind?
Mar 18, 2002
Visit site
Hello guys!:)

Thought it was about time I stuck my head out from under my duvet and gave you a bit of an update on Dolly and I;)

Things haven't been great for either of us this winter, hence my lack of appearances on NR, but *touches wood, crosses fingers and does other silly superstitious stuff!* things are beginning to look a little brighter...!

Unfortunately I have been very depressed of late, which hasn't helped the situation with Dolly, and I've ended up signed off work and on anti-depressants... and thank god for my GP! He was absolutely right, it *was* just what I needed, despite my initial insistance that I MUST go to work and WOULDN'T take happy pills.

The time off work has given me the chance to spend unlimited time with Dolly, doing a lot of crying into her mane, but at the same time, allowing us to bond again, and making me realise that I adore her, really don't want to loose her, and therefore must 'sort her out'!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Dolly had some intermittent 'stiffness' in her hinds through the late autumn as some of you will remember, which we have now resolved with a combination of going barefoot behind, finding a 'better' supplement, rest and gentle exercise.

Unfortunately the enforced 'time off' for both of us resulted in her thinking she'd retired, and me dropping confidence...again! When we started to go out again, she had turned back into the nappy, stroppy, jogging mare I bought nearly a year ago :)eek: yes! nearly a year!).

My deep depression at the time didn't help, as I didn't have the energy or inclination to 'do' anything about her behaviour, and again, as some of you may remember, was thinking along the lines of selling her, loaning her out etc.

Having 'gone barefoot behind' at the end of November, the wet ground and mud caused Dolly the most disgusting thrush I've ever encountered on one of her backs, resulting in her frog shedding off in layers, and me being reluctant to ride her on it for a while.... so we did some in hand work, again helping, I think, us to 're-bond'.

Having got the thrush under control, I began riding her out with others again, and being a bit 'firmer' with my riding, and she has been as good as gold on the limited number of occasions that the weather has been kind enough to let us go out:rolleyes:

Unfortuntately the same can't be said for her going out alone... last time I tried it she napped horrendously, rearing, spinning in the road and refusing to go in any direction other than 'home'. We stood in the rain for 45 minutes, and when we both started shivvering, I had to give in and turn her for home... although I then rode her 'past' home, so she didn't get all her own way!

However, with my chemically-induced-slightly-brighter-mood, I have decided to look at the positives- the main one being that six months ago, I wouldn't have dreamed of taking her out in company because she was competitive and dangerous, constantly having to be in front and if 'held back' would get very strong and 'scary'... now we can hack out with others (up to 6 of us at a time!) with no problem- she still prefers to be in front, but WILL go in the middle or behind, and we seem to have stopped the insistent 'jogging' all the way home and 'competitiveness'.

So, my plan heading into the spring? Dolly and I are going to continue to hack out with others and enjoy it, we are also going to do some in-hand work away from the yard on our own, to increase both of us' confidence, hopefully leading to us being able to hack out alone again... I know we CAN do it, we just have to get on and DO IT! We are also going to start having lessons, just as soon as I can get her to hack the half mile to the local RI!:rolleyes:

Should I find myself in a position where I'm unable to get her through her napping and rearing, then Plan B will come in to effect with the lighter evenings and better weather- Dolly will be 'sent away' to a yard a mile down the road, where she will be re-schooled and 'sorted out' by the very highly reccomended YO... and I will go there for lessons on her during this time.

So, there you have it, that's what's been going on for me, and my plan for the new year... sorry it's such a long 'update' and thankyou to all of those who have 'kept in touch' through my 'silence';) :)

Oh HC, sorry you've had such a rotten time with the old blues and lack of confidence! Glad the chemicals are beginning to balance out, m'dear. Take your time to feel better- don't try and force it, cos it don't work.

Great you've got a plan for the way ahead with Dolly. Must say you've got some non-nelly nerves to get on and ride solo; well done you!!

Lovely to get your update. (I'm still hibernating and semi-lurking but will surface with news when there is any!)

Cheers xx

Hello HC :) Really sorry to hear you've been unwell but glad that you and your GP are dealing with it, sounds like things are looking up.

Good to hear Dolly's stiffness is better. I think you have made a wise decision to go for regular lessons. I have found from personal experience that they give my riding focus and help me to set (and achieve!) realistic goals. Without my lessons I would be drifting along - probably losing my confidence along the way. You may find that's all she needs to settle and become more disciplined (as I have with Zara) but if you decide you need the extra help of the re-schooling then go for it. Better that than feel you need to sell ... and being involved in the process would be invaluable for you both, what a great facility to have a mile down the road :)

Anyway, enough of my waffle :rolleyes: Good to "see" you back on NR :D

Its good to hear from you! I was wondering where you had gotten off to!

It sounds like you have an excellent game plan for the future of you and Dolly. I think that lessons are an excellent idea!

All my best to you to and I hope to hear soon that you are having successes with Dolly!

Difficult times HC, so really good to hear all about the end of tunnel light. :) Good to hear about the good times, and am sure they will continue to iimprove.. for both of you.

Cazx

Welcome out of hibernation matey... I'm soooooo glad the pills have kicked in, have been so worried about you but I noticed a slight increase in posts since your last visit to the doc so I've been quietly hopeful for you!!! ;)

Still waiting for the green light to come and see you too, of course!!! I've even washed and mucked out my car in preparation..........

But GREAT to hear from you publicly too, Claire xxxxxxx :D

Hello again! It's great to hear that things are getting better for you and also with Dolly :) I have had a "chemically induced slightly brighter mood" :D in the past and although I wasn't keen at first either, it was such a relief to feel a bit more in control and get a peep of light at the end of the tunnel. So well done for taking that step towards well-ness (if there is such a word!).
Maybe Dolly lacks confidence by herself? (S'pose it could be naughtiness, but how could such an angelic looking pony be naughty? :eek: :D )
Merrick is supposed to be getting ridden in 2 weeks after a break of 2.5 years, and he hasn't left the safe confines of a yard since, um, *tots up* late September 2004. I suspect I'll have some interesting moments too so I would love to read some more updates from you on how you tackle this and if she goes for pro schooling what kind of things you do in the lessons :)
Nice to see you around again and good luck with everything :)

HC, welcome back. You have been very missed. Our yard takes horses for reschooling, and Cilla has had her own time in the naughty class. Its amazing what a skilled person/RI can achieve in a very short time when they are not as imotionally attached as we are to our own horses.

I myself have had some very dark patches in my life. Suddenly someone will say something to you that makes you realize the dark is grey now. For me it was a friend who sudenly said " Hey you laughed today!" Ididnt know at that point that I hadnt laughed for months.

So welcomne back, longer days are comming, keep posting.

Luv Libbyo :)

Hey HC glad to see your back, sorry that your a bit down at the moment.
Glad you and Dolly now have a plan of action together. Fingers crossed for both of you and I hope it continues to get better for you

Naomi xx

That wasnt to long hun. xx

You've cracked Dolly once and you CAN do it again.

Keep the update coming girl, this place hasn't been the same without you.

Kxx

It's lovely to have you back HC - don't disappear again please. :)

Sorry to hear you and Dolly have had more downs than ups just lately but it does sound as if you are getting back on track. I rarely have anything useful to recommend to anyone, but just keep going with what you and Dolly feel comfortable with and enjoy and I'm sure it will all come right in the end. :)

Glad to hear from you again HC. I have missed you and Dolly.. You are an inspiration to many of us nervous nellies, so please give yourself loads of pats on your back and say to yourself "I can do it". As Bobbin has already said, you have done it before, you can do it again..:D Set yourself some small goals and praise yourself and Dolly when you acheive them. The lighter days and better weather are coming so its onwards and upwards soldier...:D

Oh, am I glad to hear from you hun :p You've been missed :D

It sounds like you've got a grip on things now and you can start reeling in the line... well done, it isn't easy :) (I know :( ).

Time is just as well spent on the ground if you're not able or cannot ride for any reason. You're doing exactly the right thing by Dolly.

Keep your pecker up hun and do check in again soon to let us know how things are going with you and your lovely girlie :p

welcome back HC, glad you are feeling better, who cares if its chemical induced, says me with my large whiskey;)

Hope you can rekindle the spark :D

keep us updated

Glad your feeling better:) dont knock the happy pills if they are working ;) been there done that.
Lovely pics of Dolly so glad you are getting on better with her:D well done

Sorry you were feeling so blue HC. I might have guessed.

Your last lot of posts were very distant, matter of fact, unemotional. I just thought that like many others you had enough of the board and had gone elsewhere.

Bloomin winter, yer bloomin heed! Definately linked in there somewhere.

Glad you are coming out the other side of it and I look forward to hearing about all your news both good and not so good.

Hugs for now,

Dee

newrider.com