Haylage or chaff? I was surprised

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
So this afternoon it was horrid and I wanted to give the boys a little something to give them a dry spell in the shelter. I fluffed out a slice of haylage and also offered them each a bucket of chaff, dry.

I was amazed when they both went for the chaff. Admittedly it is very nice Agrobs chaff made from Alpine meadows, but I could have sworn they would prefer the haylage. What would your neds choose?

Jess would go for haylage (I can't put her hay out first or she won't eat her feed), Hank for the bucket, not sure about Dan yet but I suspect the bucket

Jack straight for bucket with open mouth - but he'd be very cross if he didn't like what was in there. Raf would probably take his time to consider both options and I'm really not sure which he would choose - depends on the day of the week.

Food bucket always first if they didn't like the contents they'd move straight to the haylage.

Same as lissie ginger will take a mouth full or two of the bucket then go for the hay I have to leave his food bucket put with him to go back and forth

Chanter always hard feed then hay.

Can’t feed haylage due to Ulcers but they would both love it

If Max has fresh straw he'll eat that over haylage. I am sure chaff would be his preferred option. Amber often leaves her bucket feed if it is not her preferred meal in there. She would probably turn her nose up at chaff.

If her head fits in it might have got food.
Includes the cleaners mop bucket, linen basket, anyone else's bucket, the boot of cars or the farmers trailer!

Actually she would take a cigarette if offered as its come out of a packet that doesn't smell like my polos, but the mouth would taste it.

She would steal your lunch.
I blame the parents myself- no discipline these days. :D

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com