haylage ?? how much, where from etc?

speedygonzalez

Apr 11, 2007
My horses are living out with their stable doors open so they can go in if they want to. They have 3.5 acres of what was very good grazing, but now they have next to nothing and down the bottom it has gone as i can only describe as spongy. i have no mud (YET) but my horses are so hungry. I hang haynets in their stables 3 slices each per day, and they are fed hi fibre cubes and happy hoof with occasional veg. Why are they so hungry? they arent loosing weight but are stressy when i come down. I was wondering as i seem to be getting through about 4 bales of hay a week, whether i should change to those large bales of haylege as i can leave them out and cover the one that is open. I have no clue to how much a huge bale is, how much i should give, how long it will last, and where i would get one. Im near brentwood in essex.

Thanks, Speedy

how many horses are you feeding?, depending on how many will depend on big bales as they go off quite quickly, i use the smaller bales which are £5 but a bale lasts mine about 2-3 days,i have a 14.1 cob, a 10hh shettie and a mini shettie who is about 26 inches.if they were on hay they would get about 3/4 of a bale a day...

Ive just ordered the mahoosive square bales of hayage / hay mix for £20 and the feed merchant says will last 3 weeks for 2 horses and will keep for 3 weeks. so got 2

Thanks everyone.

Speedy x

newrider.com