Haylage fusspots

TBminx

Mar 22, 2013
My pair are quite fussy with their haylage and will turn noses up at the lesser quality bales......

Now I dont mean mouldy or like silage but just not the best which the odd bale is like especially after bad year had....anyone else's horses' particular with the quality lol?

Mine get bog-standard hay and I had a few that they refused to eat over this winter.... unheard of! Then when I started looking on forums, it seemed to be quite common.... something to do with the late cut due to last "summer's" poor weather. I didn't feel so bad that it wasn't just me, but it was a pain to waste it.....

Malaika loves haylage even the stuff that looks yuck but she can't have it,she came up in lumps when I gave her it the first year I had her,she gets soaked hay all year now.I was out walking once with her and met some wrapped bales and while I was negotiating which way round to go she tried tearing the wrapper open :eek:

Mine will eat haylage or hay but they sniff it sometimes and walk off then stress as nothing to eat cos turning noses up what have.........like last night then we brought in our haylage had brought in small bales instead incase got mouldy stuff at yard and they devoured it :wink:

Storm is soooo faddy! She isn't allowed hayledge - but she has two types of hay at her disposal!!! I buy meadow and Yorkshire hay and it varies as to whether she will eat it. I soak it for dust and calories which she does not approve of, but she has got used to that. Chloe gets a special bagged forage hayledge suitable for good doers and the smell of it drives poor Stormy wild with envy!!! I just daren't give her any! Also she would be sick of it within a week - many years ago we tried her on similar and she started to leave it.
I think grass is her fav.....

newrider.com