Haylage for one

Libbylou

Jan 20, 2010
Norfolk and good
Im thinking of changing over to haylage but as its only for one Im trying to work out the best size bale to buy to prevent spoilage but best cost.

Where do you buy for one/what make, how much do you buy and whats the rough costs ?

You used to be able to buy small bales, they were about £6 a bhale but suspect that has gone up. If not horsehag do good sized bags and they do a low sugar suitable for laminitics version too :)

Friend used to buy the small bales for her elderly mare with COPD, because she didn't eat enough to warrant the big bales as it would spoil.

I use the Horsehage High Fibre or Timothy, it costs £ 6.74 / bag. 1 bag is the equivalent of 1 standard bale of hay. Marksway say it will feed a 500kg horse for 3 days.
The bag once opened needs to used within 5-7days, unopened (with no punctures) 18 months. I feed it out of an 'Elim-a-net' to make it last longer :happy:

I use the Horsehage High Fibre or Timothy, it costs £ 6.74 / bag. 1 bag is the equivalent of 1 standard bale of hay. Marksway say it will feed a 500kg horse for 3 days.
The bag once opened needs to used within 5-7days, unopened (with no punctures) 18 months. I feed it out of an 'Elim-a-net' to make it last longer :happy:

Ouch thats expensive ! I bought a 450kg bale of hay for £35, the eqivilent in horsehage would cost £148

Ouch thats expensive ! I bought a 450kg bale of hay for £35, the eqivilent in horsehage would cost £148

No, your hay is cheap :biggrin:

I would stick with the hay then at that price :happy:

Good hay has been in short supply this Winter, hence some of the inflated prices you hear about :happy:

Why, if you don't mind me asking, are you thinking of changing onto haylage ?

Im thinking of changing as his owner had him on haylage and I like to feed from the ground, dont like nets at all, but feel a chore filling a net, to wet it, leave it to drain and then empty the soggy hay onto the floor.

Also I know its ages away but winter and wetting hay just dont mix, never had to do it before.

or do I steam it instead ??......... saying that personally I dont feel that 2 kettles of hot water in a container do the trick, Im thinking of a wheely bin with a wall paper stripper steamer inside- well the hose ?

No, your hay is cheap :biggrin:

I would stick with the hay then at that price :happy:

Good hay has been in short supply this Winter, hence some of the inflated prices you hear about :happy:

Why, if you don't mind me asking, are you thinking of changing onto haylage ?

I know its a really good price, I smiled very sweetly and fluttered my eyelashes for it and then said he could cash for 10 bales.

I would just feed from the floor and not soak. Tbh if your horse needs hay soaked before feeding from the floor it should be on haylage or something else like bedding needs changing.

Madam has a dust allergy but is fine fed from floor.

I would just feed from the floor and not soak. Tbh if your horse needs hay soaked before feeding from the floor it should be on haylage or something else like bedding needs changing.

Madam has a dust allergy but is fine fed from floor.

I used to feed LL the same hay and she was fine, Im just cautious feeding his lordship just incase he does get a cough as I was told he is prone to them with dusty hay ??

newrider.com