Haylage fizzing up horse- help?

jaynesmith

Dec 13, 2005
Worcester
My ex-racehorse humphrey is usually very laid back never fizzes up on grass etc., have owned him since March, he has been on clover and meadow haylage for nearly three months. Over the past 3 - 4 weeks he has started to become a nightmare to ride on grass ie. jogging starting to try and fly buck and generally a total change in behaviour.:confused:

Could this be down to the haylage this is the only thing that he has been having extra to his feed (which hasn't changed) in the nine months since owning him. In the summer he is a real donkey (which I like).

Has anyone else had this problem

Thank you

....... a bit like oats...... haylage can make some horses fizzy....mine just gets fat so he's on hay!

I really do hope its his haylage as I only my RI can ride him while he is like this, I can ride him on the roads as he is very good in traffic etc., I love him to bits, I suppose I wont know for sure until the summer as the YO feeds haylage to all the horses, suppose could ask to change to hay but dont know if he would, although I have the majority vote owning 5 horses on our small yard :)

Mine cant take haylage, goes a tad too silly for my liking (plus she'd get way too fat). If your boy has been on haylage for 3 months and he's started acting up in the past few weeks might suggest haylage isnt the whole problem, none-the-less, no harm in giving half hay/half haylage and see if that helps (you already know to make feed changes gradually).

Anything else that's changed? Excercise pattern, stable or field mates, turnout time? Mine tends to get a 'winter' head on her when it's frosty, or if she's not been worked for a few days, but that's more excitement than misbehaviour. Might be worth doing the usual teeth/back/tack checks just to rule anything out and settle your mind.

Nothing has changed, he's out 24/7 has recently had back and teeth done, and has had new saddle from poohsmate a good six months and it has been checked. He is probably getting a little less exercise than in the summer, although he was off work for 6 weeks in summer due to a kick from another horse, and he was ridden straight after and no fizziness as calm as ever, thats how he got his nickname "the camel", but I love him to bits

Ours are all silly and uppity at the mo and their diet hasnt changed at all, sometimes it can be silly season but its def worth cutting out anything that you suspect might be causing it.....:)

How is he on the ground? Could this be a leadership or confidence hiccup?

Perhaps it is just the haylage, certainly the quality of the hay I buy alters from wheel to wheel, so it would follow that the same is true with other fodder.

It fizzes up both my geldings but we tried them on it as the ice from soaking hay but Beau dosn't even like hayledge:eek: Punch does but he gets half and half. It fizzes Echo up a bit but anything does but she can't have hay as it gives her a little cough before I warm her up which the vet said is natural just clearing her airways but id rather she didn't.

newrider.com