haylage balancer - any good??

Cremola Foam

Jan 11, 2005
Scotland
Pedro has always had pretty loose droppings, but they have just gone onto haylage (a week ago) and his droppings are hidious! He gets it all down his tail and his bum cheeks :( I brushed off the dry stuff today (i know a pony who go a really sore, chapped bottom because his owners just left the poo) and going to get a tail bag. But I'm thinking what can i do feed wise to help him.

i know naf do a haylage balancer and wondered if anyone had any experience with it ot could recommend anything else?

Watching this. I'm having the same problem, was about to ask the same!

I have been told by loads of people at the yard to try giving him wheatabix, 1 morning, 1 night. Apparently it works. Got to be worth a try!

What are you balancing it to?

All grazing and hay/haylage will have different mineral levels. And if the haylage is having that much of an effect, why don't you swap to hay?

Pink powder here. On a concentrated dose, I've always found the same thing with haylege = squitty bum. So he now has 4 scoops over a scattering of pony nuts (livery yard only feed that), if he was there long term I would look at the haylege balancer or to feed a pro biotic yoghurt, that usually helps :)

A friend mentioned pink powder. We are putting a bale of hay in once this one is finished to see if it makes a difference but was wondering about feeding him something in the mean time. I found an unopened tub of digestive aid a friend gave to me (she had won it but didn't have use for it) so he's been on that for a few days, not seen any difference yet. Farmer recommended not feeding adlib (not really an option as I share a field with someone who doesn't want to do that) difficult when I've someone else to fit in with!

I have had Belle with softer than I would like poop this last week, not squitty but not her usual nicely formed poops, vet suggested they have had a LOT of problems with encysted red worm erupting in the last few weeks and to give her equest and feed a pro/pre biotic, which I have and she's fine now, if it were me and it's just the hayledge that is to rich/wet whatever for your horse I'd be swapping to hay asap. Just thought I'd mention the worm thing as my vet said it's unusual this time of year but they are seeing it a lot.

we had a work horse that had projectile shite ( worm burden issues when a foal) to keep her poop more formed she had a probiotic yogurt twice a day

It is a probiotic plus anti-acid. Stops the general 'runniness' of droppings on horses fed mainly on haylage.

Haylage works better for ours as it delivers a higher protein level so need less 'hard' feed . This works particularly with our ex racers but also with those of the RS ponies/cobs that live in at night.

We source our haylage from a farmer who's land mineral profile complements our grazing, the fact our horse are well, sane, compete well where relevant, have super coats and good hooves is enough evidence for me that it is a system that works!!

Balancer is a commercial description in this case.

newrider.com