Haybar

Jill26

Jun 12, 2005
Has anyone used a Haybar? They're advertised in the Derby House catalogue - apparently they replace haynets and allow the horse to eat in a more natural position whilst minimising hay waste. I'm thinking of buying one, but as they're not exactly 'cheap' I'd appreciate hearing any experiences people have had with them, whether good or bad.

Have just got 2 pony ones.
I was a bit dissapointed with them when they came as they looked much flimsier than I thought they would and they dont come with any fittings which I think at that price they should.
They were quite tricky to put up-you need very long bolts and wasnt helped by fact that other half put it up in wrong place while I was out and had to move it, at which point bolts sheared etc!!!
My dad has now done them and they look good-much better up!
One pony took a few days to even go near it, wouldnt even eat her food from a bowl near it the first night, 2nd pony took half an hour and then was fine.
Does make less work filling nets and doing beds etc.
Would buy again but only if have competant DIY person around!

we have them. weve just put up new stables and had them installed (still waiting on the automatic wateres) best things ever in my oppinion. ive got the horse ones but my 14hh ponies cope ok and my 12.2hh pony doesnt seem to have too much problem either. no mess no haynets no time needed!

I'll defianately get some if we get stables built, i'm anti-haynets. You could probabaly just whack a bit of plywood in the corner if you're handy, which i'm not!

I think your right, plywood would do the same job at a fraction of the cost, what is the hay bay made from? is it rubber coated or something?

it is some sosrt of stiff plastic or thin plastic coated metal.
unless you were very handy i wouldnt try to make one as you end up with blunt or shapr edges. the hay bar has a rolled top, my cribbiter cant get hold of it and there is nowhere for the clumsy arab to injure himself

Kanuma said:
we have them. weve just put up new stables and had them installed (still waiting on the automatic wateres) best things ever in my oppinion.

Thanks for your comments - especially Kanuma and Miggy - this board is so helpful! It's useful when someone's actually using the thing to hear how it works - YO has now agreed that I can put it up (might be a bit of a challenge to fix, but hey!), so I'm away to buy one tomorrow.

newrider.com