Haybar

skewbald-mad

Sep 20, 2007
fife, scotland
does anyone know of anywhere that does these cheaper? Ive found somewhere that i can get it at £61 delivered,

gonna get one for k for this winter, cant put hay on ground as he trashes it into his bed and doesent eat it, dont like giving him nets as im aware of him getting an upside down neck esp since he is so young, and also safety issues, i know you can make homemade versions etc but by the time i make is safe enough with curved edges etc so that my accident prone baby cant get hurt on it id be aswell buying one!

Have they gone up in price? I only remember mine being £50 something but that was 4 year ago I think maybe longer.

I got mine from Central Sadderly but just checked there site and also £61.50

Anyone making replicas yet? Any on ebay at all?

£61 delivered is good, I bought mine and picked it up for £59 from a local tack shop, They are brilliant for all the reasons advertised.

Porsha loves it too, and when they are in early winter evenings you can hide bits of carrot and apple deep in the haybar to keep them occupied, although Porsha gets excited and throws her head into in and comes out looking like a monster:D

only a couple of new ones on ebay that are even more expensive!

K has been getting nets all winter which has solved the problem of wastage but i want him to eat more naturally!

ill maybe put a wanted ad up in local ad paper?

they really are fab, i wouldnt be put off by the price, just think of the cost of nets, wasted hay and (touch wood it doesnt happen) vet bills from any potential inuries from a DIY model or a cheaper version. be aware that the cheaper version are also more likely to break and be not as good quality (they are cheaper for a reason ;))

wouldnt be without ours, we put so much effort into building a good topline, its silly spoiling that by feeding from haynets or racks.

I use a plastic cut down 45 gallon drum. Its great, sits in the corner with no hassle, its easy to take out and clean and I have one of these wee sack barrow trolly thingys that can slide under it so that I can take it to the bale for filling rather than having to humph the haylage to it:D.

The only slight irritation is that he sometimes pulls it out from the corner but hubby is going to put a clip on the wall to keep it in place.

There is a similar one on the market called Eez-Hay which is slightly smaller and a chunk cheaper. Friend got one for her horse and it was easy to fit (and it came with the fittings!)

newrider.com