Haybar and Dust..

mikh

Jan 3, 2008
Out of interest with a haybar do the tiny dusty bits of hay gather in the bottom and (if you have one) how do you get rid? I like the idea of no hay on the floor but it's usually all the small dusty bits that are on my floor, surely that would end up in the bottom on the haybar? Yes? No?

My reasoning is my horse is a bit snotty at the mo so wetting hay but she's a bit of an aggressive eater so really rips the hay out and makes a lot of dust, so with a haybar it may be a lot less of a task for her.

Yes, dust does gather at the bottom but the idea is to leave a gap between the bottom of the haybar and the floor, so it is easy to sweep it out.

IMHO i think haybars are good for one thing - storing rugs:eek:

a couple of years ago our yard was fitted out with haybars - no one uses them anymore and most have been taken out of the stables and are lying in the hay loft. (our yard has over 30 stables so its a wide opinion!)

there is a gap at the bottom but the particles still gather and the horses just drag the hayledge onto the floor anyway.

Hi mine have a little gap but I end getting all the bits out once or twice a week. My horses are really tidy with their haybars and to be honest they don't pull anything out so I think we might be lucky there!

newrider.com