Hay replacement

julie.rockley1

Dec 31, 2021
lightning 28 ur old 15.3 TB, is really starting to quid his hay now, teeth are checked and very slick at the back. He still manages some but I am starting to put him onto hay replacements mainly being fibre beet mixed with some hifi senior which he’s not too keen on. I’m looking at introducing emerald green grass and grass nuts as an extra.this is obvs going to start working out very expensive too.
Am I making things way too complicated?
Does anyone else do this? And what type of quantities?
I’ve read about chopping my own hay but have no idea where to start?

Tia julie and lightning x

I did it for my old pony, it was quite a few years ago now but he got Speedibeet, grass nuts, Alfa nuts and barley rings soaked into a huge mash five times a day. I’d also blend up veggies, carrots, apples , parsnips for him too for some variety. Phoenix got to the point that chaff wasn’t very easy for him to manage, his teeth were like glass flat so although he could get it down it was hard on his tummy as it hadn’t been chewed.
I think the quantities were kg for kg to replace hay, but really it just ended up being ad-lib as he wasn’t exactly fat despite cushings.

To help, you might buy one of those huge large dental swooshing syringes (we got ours on Amazon for a reasonable price). Just use it once a day to clear the mouth out and make it more comfortable. We do it after a hard feed.

Chloe is 31 and just this year started to struggle with hay so we have been giving Spillers Senior Super Mash, Speedi Beet and Fast Fibre. She loves them and coupled with day time grass pickings when she’s out and about she’s doing fine. I don’t give her short chop like Graze on or Happy Hoof as she quids that so pointless. The mash seems to go down well enough.
She also gets soaked pony hi fi nuts for a day time feed if the weather is bad and she’s inside. So long as she has the fibre at night is the main thing as she lives in at night.

When Ramsey was late twenties he couldn't manage hay. I have him soaked grass nuts, mollichaff and 16 plus, for about 3 years. It kept him going nicely, and luckily he managed grass right to the end.

My friend Uta has her 30 yo Shettie mare on soft food as she quids everything, hay, chaff and grass. She gets speedibeet, linseed and senior mash and anything else she will eat as she is very skinny, poor old thing.

My friend Uta has her 30 yo Shettie mare on soft food as she quids everything, hay, chaff and grass. She gets speedibeet, linseed and senior mash and anything else she will eat as she is very skinny, poor old thing.
Aw, that’s a shame she quids grass also. Chloe gets fed up with the same thing ( don’t we all!) but I switch up sometimes to the normal super mash, it must taste a bit different. I really rate Spillers they seem to do a good range for oldies.

newrider.com