Hay/haylage nets

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Anyone found any bulk buy deals on smaller hole nets? I'd like an extra 6-10 so I can pre fill a day or two's worth but the ones I normally get are about £12 each and I'd rather not be spending nearly a hundred quid on nets :p

£12 seems dear for a net? I used to get Shires ones, £5ish and when the hanging cord was done, I placed inside the good one to make a smaller holed net.

Hahaha when is the last time you got a net Trewsers, I last bought a shires greedy net in large about 18 months ago and it was £12.99 lol :D

Not that long ago, just before we moved here, maybe the tack shop had them priced wrong?!:confused::p They were definately Shires ones, I bought two purple ones for the girlies journey. Hehehe maybe I was just lucky there!lol
(Just wondering if mine are the small ones?!)

Isn't haylage chopped hay? Like our dengi over here????

You can actually get that to stay in a haynet????

I have used it on occasion but never thought to try to put it in a net.

I always put it in a bucket or large feed tub.

I never thought to try the really small hay nets to hold it in.

No, chopped forage is 'chaff', haylage or baylage is long forage half way between hay and silage (that is fed to cows) but its baled drier, hay is about 10% water, haylage 35-45% and silage about 60-70% (which is too wet for horses).
Haylage is taken off the field while still damp and wrapped or vaccum packed, fermentation begins but the airless environment halts it quickly, preserving it.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Well one of my shires greedy feeders has had it, i noticed last week that it had a hole but I cant complain as I have had it for 3 years now. I ordered one of these nets to see what it was like and I am very impressed with how sturdy it seems to be.. the holes are also slightly smaller than the Shires greedy feeder.

http://www.martsnets.co.uk/ourshop/...eorder-only-despatch-after-20th-November.html

112x200.jpg

Reactions: Jessey
There is a place in northern Ma that has some sort of I bagged hay/haylage/forage that has a higher moisture content
I wonder if that is haylage??
I have never gotten any to know what it is or if its chopped or longer.
It was not close to me.
When I got some bagged forage it was Dengi and that is rather dry and chopped teeny tiny.

newrider.com