Having your horse at home!

scorpionfiona

Aug 12, 2007
London
Not literally in your house, but keeping your house on your own land...

We are going to be buying a new house next year, ideally with a few acres and stables. I have always had my horse at livery yards (DIY).

How do you manage with the horse being with you at home? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Do you get lonely, or have you taken on a livery?

To be honest, any thoughts, ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated!

I have my house on the market at the moment and have my eye on a bungalow with a small turnout patch and a field behind.

I can't wait to be able to go outside in my pj's and leave the kids in the warm to feed the horses. To tip my poo onto my own poo pile, to have my hay put where I want it, I'm used to being on my own, but its the little things that will make the difference. Not having to get in the car to see my lovely horses but just to look out of the window would be heaven!!!

I keep ours at home, moved them there this year, and its been great! Lot different to a yard obviously, but you soon learn to manage - things you take for granted like running water and electricity on hand - well, we don't have them at the mo (we're having "proper" power put in next year). Its great tho, full control over turnout etc. It depends too on the hacking - if you are a hacker - make sure you pick somewhere that there is plenty of access etc. I miss the school - tho am hopefully having one built later this year / early part next year. I school as I hack at the moment! I certainly don't miss the side of livery yards that means fighting for the school / arguging over turnout etc, tho the last yard I was on was lovely, and I miss the people (we keep in touch).
You definitely need to keep your horsey mates too! My OH is as horse crazy as me, so thats ok for me, but I should imagine it could be lonely on your own.
Hope this helps! Feel free to ask anything else!!!

Another point is make sure you can have bedding / feed delivered in the quantities YOU want - ie, not too vast - as it can be a problem storing / lugging great quantities around the place!
Oh, and just an afterthought - pick somewhere with nice neighbours - mine ought to be sent back to the town !!(they're ridiculous - some people on here will remember the trouble I had initially). They said daft things like horses don't belong in the countryside etc! So just make sure you pick wisely where you want to live and suss them out as much as you can!

The idea of looking out my bedroom window and seeing my horse sounds amazing! I only have one horse at the moment, but would definitely get another if do get the new house with land.

One question though... what do you do when you go on holiday? who looks after your horse for you?

The idea of looking out my bedroom window and seeing my horse sounds amazing! I only have one horse at the moment, but would definitely get another if do get the new house with land.

One question though... what do you do when you go on holiday? who looks after your horse for you?

i am thoroughly annoyed as my mum and dad get the bedroom window looking out over the horses :mad: ;)

i love having the horses at home and tbh, doubt i could afford to keep them if they weren't at home :eek::(
when on holiday i get a friend to either come over and check on the horses or last time they went up to my RI's (won't be doing that again). No one exercises them and it is always someone i trust and who i know will cope should anything go wrong. leave instructions for feeds and a contact number if you can.
i've had my own pony since i was 7 so have learned to occupy myself when riding and i don't get lonely. if you are used to riding with other people all the time then you may get lonely, not something i think of though (i like my space although can happily work around other people if they are considerate enough ;)).
one thing i hate about having the horses at home is that i don't have access to a school, something i hope to get changed in a few years

We use a lady called "the horse nanny" for a fee she will do all the hard work whilst you are away.

Either that or my sharer would do it :D handy to have one! or a good freind, save a few quid.

Not that I ever go on holiday:mad:my husband blames the horses:mad:

its great-never had mine at a livery so cant compare. its great knowing that you just have to walk to a field-1 min-get everything done .come back-1min-then sit back and relax.....:D:D
we have this trainer person to come round.she either comes round to yours and feeds them muck out turn out etc.(shes really nice. fed the cat once for us 2;)) but she does that on long weekends and stuff. she usually takes them to hers and looks after them there. 1st time she went to bring mums tb into horsebox(not great loader as used to big lorries as a racer:rolleyes: ) she stopped dead and the first thing she said was "i don't care if this takes all day but your still coming" patient person or what:D (it cheaper to take 1 tb to her than 2 dogs:rolleyes::eek:)

I have always kept my horses in a field about 30 secs from my house so they are practically kept at home. There is only us there and i have no experience of being on a yard. I wouldn't have it any other way!! I love beign able to do things in my own time and my own way. My OH knows how to look after them too so he can cover if im ill or work late and there are other people in the village who ride so i have hacking buddies if i want them. I am also very lucky that my neighbour who has horses will look after them when we go away but that is very rare anyway.

I just wish i could see them from my window but theres a barn and some trees in the way! :rolleyes:

I have always kept my horses in a field about 30 secs from my house so they are practically kept at home. There is only us there and i have no experience of being on a yard. I wouldn't have it any other way!! I love beign able to do things in my own time and my own way. My OH knows how to look after them too so he can cover if im ill or work late and there are other people in the village who ride so i have hacking buddies if i want them. I am also very lucky that my neighbour who has horses will look after them when we go away but that is very rare anyway.

I just wish i could see them from my window but theres a barn and some trees in the way! :rolleyes:

oh raggydoll what a perfect set up you have!:D

Keeping horses at home!! my biggest wish:D to look out of your bedroom window every morning and call out to the horses and hear them whinny back!! the best morning wake up ever!!

If :)rolleyes:) i ever had horses at home, i would definatly have a like minded person or two as liveries to keep me and the girls company:).It could get lonely, and its good for security too having a couple of xtra eyes around the place to look out for anyone suspicious, and help if you go away on holiday.

Electric and water bills for the yard will add up, but then again, you wont be paying for livery!!

Check for any footpaths that may cross your land, as this may restrict where you put up fencing for the horses (to avoid blocking off a path!)

Go for it!!

My two are kept at home. Massive advantages, I can wander out at 2am to make sure they're okay, sort out my own worming programme, my own feeds and just do everything I want to myself. I don't have stables or anything (although no one does!) but theres yards now. My mums unhorsey but has learnt heaps and can help if necessary.

I can sit up in the morning and see my horseys, tis a very beautiful thing. My neighbours (two sets are horsey!) will look after them when we go away, and we do the same for them. Our street is very communal, we now have a herd of cows made up of all the streets cattle grazing together over everyones land.

Our two are kept at home, after years of livery OH finally got the farmer to sell us the land that we'd wanted fort he last 4 years and it's great - nothing better than being able to walk out the gate and check on them at midnight if I want to!. We've loads of lovely hacking and a few horsey neighbours and take turns in looking after each others various animals when people are away. For the odd day I'm not around OH looks after them for me and also does lunchtime feeds as he works from home - very handy!.

I had my horse at home for the last ten years and loved it. Its so convenient, just stick a saddle on him and off i go, no hassle and stress!

Downsides... Its hard work cos you have to constantly be fixing fences, cutting hedges etc which would normally be done by livery yard owner, its hard work!! Also things like muck.. What do you do with it? We burn ours but its hard work, and you have to make space for it and its just hassle.
In the winter i found it especially hard as we just had stables and an area to stand the horses for grooming. If possible put up a concrete area you can turn them out in when its muddy or a sand area or something.

We weren't really set up for more than one horse so i moved them when i got another and it is nice not to have the responsibility, but i do miss having my Charlie in the garden, and will bring them back in the summer when its easier!

I think if you're set up well its great but otherwise it can be HARD work!

I can honestly say that I dont regret moving to a cottage with land this July. I can have a cuddle with Captain in my PJ's at 1am in the morn. Then fall into bed stinking of horses. :D I can have a lie in without worrying about Captain. 10am in the morning and I am still asleep is just luxury. :D There are plenty of people around here that ride so I am never without company. And my family or my neighbours would cover the horses is I ever got to go away. :rolleyes:

Hehehe Novicenic - sounds great - the cuddling at 1am in the morning! I can definitely relate to that, Storm gets lots of pj clad hugs - I don't care who sees me tramping down there in my pjs and wellies!!!
As for holiday cover - I don't go on holiday anymore (never been a big fan of flying and not bothered for holidaying full stop) but if I did want to go away there is always some horsey person I could ask to check on them, plus friends and family.

I loved having my girls at home. Would wake up, open the window, call them and get called back to.

After drunken nights out they were always on standby for a cuddle come 2am ( I ruined sooo many pairs of my shoes with my impromtu visits). If i just fancied a cuddle they were there. I could feed what I thought was right for them without being told they should have this that or the other. I Kept to my own routine, it was cheaper. They had lots of grass and 3 fields to chose from.

Downside was nowhere to ride (which wasnt a problem as they were only young) If the weather was really miserable, they didnt have a stable i could tuck them in to.

If i had the chance again, id move them home :)

Yes me too. I have my two boys at home, I rent land long term from the National Parks and I know they will never build on it.

I see my horses twice a day minimum - as I drive out to work through the fields and home again, and then I have the evening with them if I choose.

In the winter the best thing in the world is the routine they've chosen. When I come home and its dark, they trot along the track after my car. When I've parked in the garden they stand hanging their noses over the gate nickering gently cos they want some hay. I then chuck on old kit, go out the back door into the stable yard and give them their feed buckets while I refill their haynets and water buckets. If I need help I just yell and husband comes straight out. Bliss!

Then I come back in the house and feed the kids and husband. Hey, a girl's got to get her priorities right! :D

We're converting the single storey barn attached to the house and have put stable doors on front and back doors in the new living room. I can't wait for next summer when I can hang out my back door and my two boys will be just out of reach in the stable yard 3m from my face.

And YummyMummy I'm so glad I'm not YOUR neighbour.... if you can do what you like with 'your' poo :p

I have my horses at home all through growing up and they are still at my Mum/Dads farm now.

I don't really get lonely because my horse is company (sad aye!) but it would be nice to have someone else around so I am not always schooling on my own, going to shows etc.

Bad Points - What facilities will you have?? - if you have a lot of facilities at your yard and you wont have when you move then you might miss that.
Holiday cover - if your away will you have to get someone in to do them for you?

Good points - there are loads - Only me using a manege is great, seeing them out of your window....... priceless :)

I've got mine at home, fantastic being able to pop out back door to feed early, still in your PJ's then get back in bed! :D

Disadvantages: As someone said, having all the responsibility, field water, poo picking, fencing, worming rota etc.
Being lonely. I sometimes find myself undisciplined because I'm bit bored on my own.
Emergencies: Learning to cope on your own, but that's also a good thing

Advantages: Nothing going missing!
Feeding, riding, worming whatever, whenever you want.
Feeling free, and confident.

I wouldn't want to go back to a livery yard, well not a large one again. Good luck, have fun, let us know how it all goes xxx

newrider.com