Having problems

Waikato Valuta

Aug 8, 2002
Australia
www.dreamwriters.org
My instructor is comeing next week but i need soem help a little sooner.

My horse acts like he is just tottaly out to lunch while I ride him. He crosses his mouth and chews the bit. And realy resists do corners, Looks out of it.

He takes his own pace and i have to really pull to get him back.

Today we were cantering along a trail, I was trying to keep him slow but he was not listening just leaning realy hard into my hands and plowing through them. I was doing the pressure release thing and also leaning back and trying to whoa him with my voice. we were coming around the corner and there was a line where the ground when from grass to dirt. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: . He stoped dead and spund around droping me onto the ground.

I am getting sick of his silly behaviour. Like refusing to stand still on trail rides. And thinking that the aid for leg yeild means bolt off.

He can be so good so I'm not sure whats got into him. His saddle has been fitted and his bridle. and he had a massage a few months ago. I cant find any soreness in his back.

It's like he has the attention span of a gold fish. I have cut out all oats from his diet and he is just getting chaff.

The other thing he is doing is jibing his head up and down when he is on the bit.

Whenever my instructor come he is an angle, is he just testing me or does she make me ride better??? i have no clue.

I feel like he is just tense and absent while i ride.
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Has he had his teeth cheecked recently as it really sounds as though he may need them rasping. Everything he's doing sounds typical to needing them looked at. But if you've had them done it may just be a case of schooling because he's having a bit to much fun. How old is he? Is he green or had problems before?
Torx

I dont think this is the 'cure all' answer to everyones problems, i can only tell you what happened to me. I had a tb who ignored all aids to stop and would run through your hands at the slightest oppourtunity. 18 months of schooling helped but didnt stop the problem. He could just switch off his attention and was difficult to get him back. My 'cure' was to change his bit to one of the mildest available and now he is so calm its incredible. He stops off a voice aid and listens about 90-95% of the time now. The other day we actually galloped a stretch where we used to have problems cantering. To top it off we were going parallel to a ditch and halfway along some ducks flew out of the water right in front of us and he never batted an eyelid!

Originally posted by Waikato Valuta
He takes his own pace and i have to really pull to get him back.

Today we were cantering along a trail, I was trying to keep him slow but he was not listening just leaning realy hard into my hands and plowing through them. I was doing the pressure release thing and also leaning back and trying to whoa him with my voice

Murph went through a period of doing this, although at trot rather than canter - he would lean and 'power trot' until he'd decided he'd had enough and it didn't matter what I did (or so I thought) he would barge ahead until he decided to stop.

He then did this to me when I was out with a very experienced rider and she suggested that before I even ask for trot/canter, I gather up my reins A LOT (I thought I had them fairly short but no, this was much shorter than I'd have thought necessary or even comfortable) and only 'give' to him when he listened to me.

Sure enough, he tried to lean and grab the bit as soon as we set off in trot, but having the reins so short meant that the pressure release was an awful lot more effective straight away and it didn't allow him to gain the advantage in the first place.

We tried a few sessions of this on the hack and once we'd done it 2 or 3 times he realised life became a lot easier for him if he did as he was told and (fingers crossed) I haven't had a problem since - he will kind of 'ask' if he can bomb off, but if I close my fingers on the reins he'll come straight back to me - he's a good boy really, I think he just thought he'd try his luck on wimpy mummy.... !

Again, the leg yield thing is down to starting off with a good rein contact and maybe a bit of work with a partner on the ground to help move them over in walk so that they get the idea - Murph didn't understand it at all to begin with but now he's clicked that he's to move over and not faster.

Because I was previously used to a schoolmistress type who would stop on a dime, I got used to riding with longer reins - some horses do need a much shorter rein than you would think - at least until they learn what you want out of them!

As for the other issues, I'm with Tor, try getting his teeth checked out - can't hurt...

He had his teeth checked 3 months ago.

He has been getting olcers around his mouth. and he got one on his toung about 3 weeks ago. but that cleared up. however the ones on his nose seem to come and go.

I will try shortening my reins. as this helps me keep his slower when we are jumping. I think it didn't help that we were heading home. but on the way out he did the same thing.

Whenever my instructor come he is an angle

Does he really go better when she's there, or has it been too few times to tell? If he really does go better when your instructor is around, maybe there's something different about the routine or what you do that helps when she's there. I'd start trying to ask yourself what might be different on those days. Just for some random examples: is there anything in particular about your position or riding style that she constantly reminds you of when she's around? Is your warmup or schooling routine different on lesson days? Do you ask more of him on those days (e.g., more transitions, more circles, more figures, etc.)? Are you more consistent in your response to him? Anything else you can think of that might be different on the lesson days?

Last edited:
newrider.com