Having Loved Livery Yards, Have Finally Had Enough!!

sjp1

Sep 14, 2009
And have decided to move Tobes home to the farm in a couple of months.

Tobes is not the ploddiest pony in the world, and he can be a right royal PITA, but am fed up of hearing 'he did this, he did that' Didn't seem a problem on last yard, but then they were more experienced yard owners and the whole thing was geared up for a livery yard, not a livery yard sideline to a farm.

Had initially asked two girls at current yard if they wanted to come. The one with three horses and a shetland does, the other was very picky and OH decided he absolutely didn't want her. She was undecided. She apparantly told livery who did want to come that she doesn't, but then today said if she didn't she wouldn't have anyone to ride with.

This is not really the foot I want to step off with and frankly, right now, I don't want either of them and their mares. Tobes is a proper idiot around mares, and I would prefer to be alone with a gelding that could either be a field ornament or an ex racer who is looking for a home which they seem to be chucking away.

WHY did I start the whole idea? Am finding livery quite stressful at the moment really!! And I used to love it!!

It's not the horses that cause the difficulties, it's the people! I think many of us have dreamed of having a small yard of like minded souls, but it so rarely seems to happen. I know of one really happy yard in our vicinity, with a kind, firm, sensible YO and friendly adaptable liveries - but only one! I am glad that I have only a half-yard arrangement in that I rent the field.

I offered a young lass I've known for years to bring her pony to my yard last year, she lasted all of 3 weeks as it really wasnt suitable as no other youngsters there to mess about with and she expected me to go round clearing up after her, I'm just glad I wasnt relying on the income or her pony for company. We're still friends thankfully but it almost didnt end up that way. If I did it again I would show them a livery (even if diy) contract up front and make sure they agree to it, no matter how well I think I know someone

I feel for you Sjp, why are you waiting for a few months? I would be off asap.

I would also do what your doing, get a gelding to keep him company and go it alone for a while, you can always get a livery or two when your settled

Well, have had a change of mind!!! I am convinced it is my age!

Am going to move, but am going to take like minded age and minded lady with me. We do have a blast. We both like doing the same things, ie. bit of stressage, fun rides and long rides with canters etc., and we are both the same age and pretty compatible as to how we keep horses.

Ultimately, she wants to buy the house with some ground just down the road from the farm so in the interim, it will help the tricky to settle Tobes because he is with horses he knows, and ultimately her house will sell and she will buy something with land. It will work for her, because her TB is tricky about moving, and it will help her if she is in the general area she is moving to. The people she wants to buy from have taken their house off the market to wait for her to sell, so, hopefully it will all work out well.

She is very laid back, intelligent and a really nice person. Fortunately the other girl doesn't want to move, so I feel HEAPS better about it all.

It does!! Shall line up something for Tobes if she decides to take all her horses when she moves, although she has several horses, so some could stay with me as if she is lucky enough to buy house up the road, she won't have that much grazing, so it could work long term as well.

Well ..................!!! Am not sure, would guess within the next couple of months. Ducks will all have gone and we have a bit of respite before lambing in March, so that would be the ideal opportunity.

newrider.com