Having fun with your horse.

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
I am wanting to basically have some fun with sox on the ground and build on our bond. However I aren't ti sure how to go about doing this? Thoughts/ suggestions welcome :)

Freeschooling, clicker training, in hand walks. And my personal fav is turn out loose in the school and just sit with them :) with ale I freeschool him and then do some ground work on his manners and sometimes some spook busting with scary things!

I loose schooled mine today. I put out some poles to go over in trot. Then I had a half s bend to lead through. Pretty much everything I do ridden or on the lunge I do loose.

We did this when she was a baby for something to do.

Attachments

• 1361575818763.jpg
    1361575818763.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: Trewsers
I know not on the ground but I spent the end of summer trying Kia bridle-less and he got very good at it :) once the riding paddock opens up I'll be reminding him and hoping to be able to walk trot and cater and do manuvers round or over obstacles without a bridle :)

I did some TREC inhand as well showing him the different obstacles and teaching him to stay. I have tried teaching him ground tying, sometimes he does it and sometimes he doesn't lol

I did teach Kia to pick things up and give me them years ago but now he uses it to pick up sticks and beat his mares with them :oops:o_O the other liveries end themselves laughing at him clattering the girls with 3-5ft tree branches :p

I enjoy clicker training and so does Ziggy. In fact he loves it so much his willy hangs out!

If I had more time I would teach him to bow and to do the Spanish Walk, but they take ages.

Reactions: MrA
I just like sitting in the middle of the arena on the mounting block. If it's a nice day and I wait long enough, curiosity makes them come and see me. Usually Chloe will stay the longest offering up her legs for scratching. Just have to be a bit careful though as she sort of tries to sit on you - well, I think she just wants scratches but doesn't realise how small and breakable humans are!lol
I also love using the shedding blade at this time of year - Storm loves it, and it's a lovely peaceful way to spend twenty minutes. Though you have to be prepared for the floofies!:D

I spend a lot of time doing groundwork with Ben. We do lots and lots of grooming which he loves. We do carrot stretches and exercises. I take him on long in-hand walks around our grounds. Sometimes I practise leading him in his bridle ready for the show ring (walk, trot, backup etc.). We do a horse agility class every few months and I will often set up plastic sheets, umbrellas etc. in the arena. We sometimes lunge, but neither of us really enjoy it so we haven't done it for months now.

I have never loose schooled him. I don't like the idea of chasing him away from me and can't see the purpose in this to be honest. He likes to be near me and follow me (we sometimes play follow my leader!) If I want to exercise him properly I would rather ride him.

newrider.com