Having a horse put down

horsemad

Jul 16, 2001
Belfast, N. Ireland
Visit site
I know this isn't a nice thing to think about, but I would like to get your opinions on the delicate matter of having a horse put down. Not that I'm in that situation yet, but my lovely horse had a bout of colic last week (fully recovered now thank goodness!) and it just got me thinking about what I would do if/when the time comes.

Are there different methods of having a horse put down and do you have any choice in this, or does it depend on the vet?

And for any of you who have been in this situation, did you stay with your horse, or did you leave before the crucial moment? I don't know if being there would be better for my horse - I would definitely want things to be as stress-free for her as possible, so if I was able to reassure her and make things easier for her, I would do that. But against that, I wonder if seeing your beloved horse being put down is very traumatic - is it a quick process and how aware is the horse of what is going on? If it wasn't instant, I coudn't bear to have my last memories of her in distress - I'm not sure I would ever get over seeing that.

I'm hoping I don't have to put this into action for a long time, but I would rather think about it now rather than wait until I'm in that situation. My main aim is to make things as easy for my beloved horse - and hopefully not leave myself too traumatised!

Any thoughts you have would be very welcome :)

You can go for a bullet or the lethal injection.
There are arguments for and against, but I'd rather go for a bullet. It's instant and I'd rather I was more distressed an a bit of mess than having to watch if the injection wasn't instant...sometimes not enough is given and a horse can carry on thrashing and trying to get up which would break my heart totally.

my girl had the injection, i stayed with her til the end and despite me being a sobbing wreck it didn't stress her out, she was weirdly calm. I'm glad I stayed as we had a very good bond and I think she'd have been stressed if I wasn't there.

Luckily the whole process couldn't have been more peaceful but either way is extremely distressing (I turned away while she fell and then sat with her as she passed)

:( Horrid but a decision everyone needs to think about incase the worst happens.

I have only been in this situation once. In September 2007 one of my elderly loan ponies had a sudden bout of colic. She received veterinary treatment in the afternoon, and was well enough to be turned out overnight. However, in the morning it returned and the vet told me that there was no option but to have her pts. She was 27 and had only been with us for 4 months (she and her companion arrived in extremely poor condition, and she had settled in well with my herd, so at least her last 4 months were happy :)). The vet didn't give me any other option, but an injection. It needed to be done quickly, and I wouldn't want any other method anyway. She was already lying down, I stayed with her (the other ponies were in the barn with us) and it was very quick. She twitched a bit, but then her pain was over. She is buried in her favourite part of the field (we had a JCB on the farm anyway digging out ditches, so the driver kindly came over and did the deed for me). Horrible to have to think about this, but sensible. Our hooved friends are so large, and you really need to think about disposal of the body before it happens. I would do the same again, ie injection and then burial on the farm.

Ali xx

We have been in that situation, to make the decision, stay with both through the injection (we were given the choice of method and it was distressing for us but no distress whatsoever for the horse and dealt with sympathetically by the proffesionals involved) and we stayed with him till and when he was collected from the field. We chose where, when and how and when the time comes again (hopefully not for a very long time) we would make our choice on the facts/conditions at that time.

Last Autumn i had my beloved firts horse PTS, i chose the bullet as i couldnt bear the thought of the injection not working or taking too long. I left just before the vet got there, i chose to remember him as he was in the stable before it happened. Turns out he had to be sedated before being shot (he had been in hospital for an op and hated the vets after), but they followed my instructions fully.

At times now, i do wish i had stayed, but i was a wreck when i left - i had the time to plan as it was not an emergency however. I do understand some vets will not shoot horses (some round my way will only do lethal injection). I would do the same thing again although, snd would proably stay.

Sadly I've been through this far too many times. 3 of my own/family horses and numerous other peoples. All of mine have been by injection. The vet will often sedate the horse first (small needle and content) which makes the actual injection (much larger needle and content), which takes about 10 seconds to administer totally stress free for the horse. Daughter and wife have both been present when it was their horses. Some owners prefer not to be present which is how I end up being there.
Our YO is brilliant and closes the yard to everyone except the parties involved for a 2 hour period.
TBH, I've never seen the injection go wrong but have seen problems with bullet (very rare).
It's never easy but is the last act of kindness we can do as horse owners.

Dollar had colic and was PTS by injection, it was very peaceful and I stayed with him, we were at the vets by then and he was in the stable. I couldn't bear the thought of shooting him. Some people are wary of the injection as in the past sometimes it didn't "work" but things have moved on since then and it's much better.

I stayed with him for a little while afterwards then went and the vets arranged for him to be cremated and to get the ashes back to me.

Saddest day of my life but it had to be done and I don't regret the way it was done at all.

I think I would prefer the injection, purely to make it easier on me. If done properly, both the injection and bullet should be equally effective, and I trust my vet 100%.
I would want to be there until the end. I think I would later regret it if I wasn't there with them. I've also decided that I want them cremated, and have already picked out my options there. Sounds horribly morbid, but a few years ago we honestly thought we were going to lose Sal, so I thought it best to make the decisions before the worst happened, as I know I'm going to be a complete wreck. Despite not being horsey, my OH dreads the day Salsa passes on - not just because we'll be losing a huge piece of our lives, but because I'm going to be completely broken up. I'm getting all teary just thinking about it :eek:

Thank you for all your feedback on what is a very emotional and upsetting subject - I know exactly what you mean Sez, I find it hard to even think about it without welling up!

cob1 - how distressing for you. And I'd thought about that too - whether I would regret it afterwards if I decided not to be there. This is why I want to make a decision now, while I'm (relatively!) unemotional and in control of things - I know I won't be thinking straight if/when the time comes.

Based on what you have all said, I think I would go for the sedative and injection option, and would stay with her. I will now put the thought out of my head before I start blubbering over my keyboard!

Good idea, i get very emotional every time I think of that night even 3 years on (hence my reply not over detailed), always best to not dwell on it now!!!

I read a very good article on having a horse PTS - and the guidence there was go with whatever the vet at the time is more comfortable with - or if you have the oppertunity chose how, then choose who

I chose to have him shot. He had a lovely morning of company, grass polos and carrots, but I left him with a trusted friend for the last 5 mins. I just couldn't bear to see him lying there He didn't notice - he had his head in a bucket of feed. I don't regret a thing

My friend went through having her beloved old guy pts, and she chose injection. She stayed with him until the vet was administering the injection, said good bye, starting walking across the field and didnt look back. Bless the farmer he held him and then buried him so when she went back in the evening she was looking at a peaceful grave.

I think usually by the time they are actually at the point where they are being pts, you will have done all you can, and provided they arent going to be distressed by you leaving at the last minute would be my prefered option. That way she didnt have to see him fall (which they do with bullet or injection unless already down) and didnt have to see him after he had passed.

I think if the horse is sedated and inevitably pretty far gone, you have to look after yourself emotionally long term. Provided they are ok and not distressed, I would recommend doing what is best for you, as you will carry the memory forever. If you have the luxury of chosing what that memory is, dont feel bad about using the choice..

Having said all that my horse is 32 and I have had him 20 years, and I cant even think about what I will do when I lose him. I think we all just have to take comfort in the good times and the great lives we have given them really..

Its a horrible heart wrenching subject but I think it does us all good to think about it just occasionally to prepare, so thanks to the OP xx

Not something nice to think about but all horses owners need to decide the best way as when the situation is here its harder to think.
For me it will be the injection all the time. I would want to stay with my horse till the end and i couldnt stand there to a gun bein held to my horses head but i could stand there stroking my horse while they had the injection.

My friends horse was PTS last week and she stayed with him till the end he had the injection and she said it was the most peaceful thing ever. He slowly lied down and went to sleep. Not in a heap but nice and slowly lied down resting headon floor.

For the horses as long as its done correctly i dont think it matters but for me i find the injection more peaceful and copeable.

Provided they are ok and not distressed, I would recommend doing what is best for you, as you will carry the memory forever. If you have the luxury of chosing what that memory is, dont feel bad about using the choice..

I think that is it exactly. I would want to do whatever is best for my lovely girl, but I also want to limit my emotional distress! I don't want to be traumatised for years to come by having witnessed a horrible end to my darling's life...but then neither do I want to walk away and regret not having stayed with her until the end.

I suppose it is one of those things that you probably won't really know until it happens - and Caroline, that is good thinking to go along with the vet's advice - he should have the experience to know what will be best in that situation.

Thanks for all your replies xx

newrider.com