Having a dry winter turnout area.

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
So my mats are arriving Friday week and I'm hoping the area is big enough to shut him in if needed if the ground gets really saturated. Not 24/ 7 but probably just while I was at work on a short day so maybe 6 hours. What do I need to put in there to make him comfortable. Obviously water, I will have buckets already ordered those and I have ones I can use anyway. I have my hay feeder but was thinking of getting a second and putting a post in, so having 3 areas I can hay him, just to make him move around a little. I think I'll get him a couple of softer rubber mats to give him somewhere to stand or lay as mud control mats are very solid. And then I thought a small sand area for him to pee/ poo comfortably.

Am I missing something really obvious? More hay feeders? Less? I'm looking to get a really small holed hay net/ two to make the hay last so he's not just stood there with nothing to do.

I'm still worried the area might be a bit small but it's the best I can do really

Reactions: Trewsers
I think you’ve got it covered! I like the idea of somewhere to lay down too. And additional feeding areas sound great as will keep him moving.

Reactions: MrA
I think you are doing the very best you can. If Ale is like Ziggy, and I suspect he is, he'll have a look around and say, "Is there food? Check. Water? Check. Somewhere I can relax? Check. All systems go" and settle down like a trouper.

Reactions: MrA
How big is the area you are thinking of? How big is the area you have to graze? You have mats already for that don't you unless I am getting confused.
Does your yard rent out stables?

If it was a here and there thing I would rent a stable for mine to have the odd night out of the wind and rain.
I haven't got to the mat stage, bar one spot. I am probably going to buy a few different ones knowing me. But I have access to a 12x12 area that I might be able to do something with.
Depending on the size of the area the only thing he will do is stand and eat the hay won't he?

How big is the area you are thinking of? How big is the area you have to graze? You have mats already for that don't you unless I am getting confused.
Does your yard rent out stables?

If it was a here and there thing I would rent a stable for mine to have the odd night out of the wind and rain.
I haven't got to the mat stage, bar one spot. I am probably going to buy a few different ones knowing me. But I have access to a 12x12 area that I might be able to do something with.
Depending on the size of the area the only thing he will do is stand and eat the hay won't he?
I have an acre of land but if it's as wet as last year he won't have anywhere dry to stand. I have a small area of mats already, but think will give me equivalent of 5x7m area plus what I already have.

The remaining stables are for emergencies or full liveries only, I can't afford to put him on full livery for one sadly! Also he doesn't enjoy being in, kicks the door and gets stressy for long periods

If you put the shelter where you plan to put the mats, you may not need so many. He will out of the wind, rain and have somewhere dry.

If you put the shelter where you plan to put the mats, you may not need so many. He will out of the wind, rain and have somewhere dry.
Sadly the shelter wasn't approved, this is the best I can do, sheltered on 3 sides and figured I can always rug if needed

I’d be a bit wary of sand if you are feeding in there, sand colic is a real thing, talking from experience here. If you do want sand and to feed just be aware not to feed off the ground and clear up any dropped hay daily if he is likely to clean it up. My mob live on sand and get fed hay, it is doable but you just hay to be a bit careful.

You could put browse somewhere on days you have time to go foraging, branches, nettles etc were always greeted with excitement when Jess had to be pen rested, I had a big tub I’d chuck it in, with an occasional lettuce or swede too ? it can just add some variety.

As the shelter wasn’t approved could you get away with putting 3 posts in a corner to attach a board to, just to give a wind break?

I’d be a bit wary of sand if you are feeding in there, sand colic is a real thing, talking from experience here. If you do want sand and to feed just be aware not to feed off the ground and clear up any dropped hay daily if he is likely to clean it up. My mob live on sand and get fed hay, it is doable but you just hay to be a bit careful.

You could put browse somewhere on days you have time to go foraging, branches, nettles etc were always greeted with excitement when Jess had to be pen rested, I had a big tub I’d chuck it in, with an occasional lettuce or swede too ? it can just add some variety.

As the shelter wasn’t approved could you get away with putting 3 posts in a corner to attach a board to, just to give a wind break?
That’s a super idea with the lettuce and other bits and pieces! I must try and remember some of these ideas for winter when Storm is just on the yard.

Reactions: Jessey
When Ziggy was on one of his long spells of box rest he would whinny with excitement and do little tiny rears when he saw me coming with a haynet full of branches! He loved them.

It's hard to find nice forage during the winter but the weeds start growing again in February.

Reactions: Jessey
Mine still follows me if I am picking her nettles.
I had a herb bucket I used to use to put things in.
You can buy dried herbs if you can find fresh.

On box rest swede would disappear. She turns her nose up at it usually. Banana can be used.

Mine still follows me if I am picking her nettles.
I had a herb bucket I used to use to put things in.
You can buy dried herbs if you can find fresh.

On box rest swede would disappear. She turns her nose up at it usually. Banana can be used.

Lol I love that wording "banana can be used"................... ? :D

newrider.com