Having 2 horses and a full time job

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
So I have been thinking about this for a short while really. I aren't sure what's going on with sox and although I am hoping he could be worked again I aren't sure when that would be.

So I thought of part loaning however due to my shifts changing weekly I couldn't say I could definitely do the same 3 days each week. Therfore I have been looking into full loan,along with having sox. I can do it money wise it's just tine wise. How do people mange with 2 horses? And a full time job?

I really struggled and ended up putting one of my horses out on loan and the other onto full livery! It's really, really hard work, especially over winter - and don't be fooled by anyone who says it's not much extra hassle if you've already got one. That's bollocks, it is literally twice the work and money and time!

I've got two primary school age kids as well though, which made it much harder time-wise. At least without that pressure you should be able to fit in riding them both!

Absolutely agree with Squidsin .... it really is twice the money and twice the work.

I've got 2 horses and work full time my job is also about 45/50 mins commute each way.

As others have said it's double the work and double the money, something to think carefully about. But once you get into the swing of it and if you're organised it's not too bad. I only ride one as the other is basically semi-retired due to age related problems. I definitely wouldn't have time to keep 2 in work. I'm very lucky that my OH helps a lot, we have a really good routine in the morning meaning we can be done in 35minutes. We do all jobs in the morning then all I have to do at night is ride, the yard brings them in in the afternoon. For me it's worth the extra work as I could never get rid of my old boy but did want another horse to ride. But it's hard to fit everything in, once I've got to the yard after work, ridden then have to start grooming the other it's quite late and most nights I'm not back home until after 8pm, I'm really horsey though and literally live, breathe do the office job just to do horsey things so it suits me ok. If you have other hobbies or commitments it may be harder. A good routine is key, we have nets made up for week, turnout rugs stay on overnight so no swapping in the morning. I love it, having 2 has allowed me to keep my darling old boy but still go out and compete on my other. My OH is very supportive though he comes down the yard every morning and often in the week to watch me ride, takes me to shows and clinics every weekend, without his support I'd find it a lot harder. There are quite a few other people who have 2 and work full time so it is doable, being on a yard that offers services helps. When you've done it for so long you get used to it. We haven't got kids or any other family commitments though which plays a big part.

I agree with @Lissie - it depends very much on your other commitments. I couldn't do it even though my children are quite grown up because they still create a lot of housework/shopping/washing and ironing etc and because my OH quite likes to see me sometimes.

If my time was entirely my own I could happily spend every spare hour at the yard.

The choice is yours really, how much time can you commit to the horses?

You already know my opinion Lauren, but I'm going to say it again anyway. You've often found it hard to manage with Sox & your work commitments so I really don't see how you're going to manage two, it may look ok on paper but the reality is always different & very rarely easier. And if you can't commit to a part loan you're mad to think you can take on a full one, you know perfectly well that horses need doing every day. If you're missing riding that much then find somewhere reasonable to go for a lesson or hack once a week.

Yes it is a juggling game having two and working. I have been finding it tough to keep both exercised. I used to ride a lot when i had just one, sometimes it would be 5/6 days a week and although he's having a quieter life due to his age and back problems, to keep him ticking and now ride my youngster 5 days is very hard. I think my old boy is suffering from not getting enough now as he's less mobile. Is easy to think the summer is here plenty of daylight but reality is there is never enough time in the day. I was thinking of alternating and riding one each day over summer but i know that life things will get in the way. They'll be days when i just cant ride. Then the exercise schedule goes out the window.

Hard really hard. Cost and time.

Chanter is retired now but still comes in every night for a full groom before or after I ride ginger.

I'm on my own and do it all myself winter is tough. Summer easier but as I like chanter to feel just as important he takes a good hour a night on his own before I even show the other on his tack.

I have 2 x ponies, 2 x dogs and a full time job, it's hard work ! :oops:

OH does help with the dogs but I'm on my own with the horses and I do feel it's heavy going! :(

I don't regret any of the horses I've brought but I do sometimes wish I'd stuck with just the one from the start ! :rolleyes:
Money wise isn't so much the issue, although I do think it would be nice to have the extra cash :p it's just the time aspect of it really I find hardest!

I do like the fact I can have the ride of 2 x very differently ponies, and don't have to worry about the one being in its own etc

However I'd say stick with one ! ;)

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am undecided. It would be for around 6 months and then another if it all went well but I have been thinking pretty hard about this still.

There was a point in time, after a messy divorce, that I had to board ----- three horses. Thankfully my son was a teenager-going-on-40 and very responsible because I worked 40-50 hours/week at my money job and sometimes worked weekends at the boarding barn to reduce my board fee.

I did that for quite a few years.

1. I am Master Drill-Sergeant organized and not prone to nervousness or excite ability.
2. I have needed a lot of sleep.
3. If I wanted (or still want) something bad enough, I can really bear down and put my nose to the grindstone.

That is how it's done ----- being organized, determined, and sticking to a game plan that makes sense.

As long as it wouldn't compromise the care you were able to give to your existing horse, I don't see why not. Especially when it's a loan rather than owning. I know it's not ideal to do so, but at least with a loan you could know if it wasn't right you could give back.

There was a point in time, after a messy divorce, that I had to board ----- three horses. Thankfully my son was a teenager-going-on-40 and very responsible because I worked 40-50 hours/week at my money job and sometimes worked weekends at the boarding barn to reduce my board fee.

I did that for quite a few years.

1. I am Master Drill-Sergeant organized and not prone to nervousness or excite ability.
2. I have needed a lot of sleep.
3. If I wanted (or still want) something bad enough, I can really bear down and put my nose to the grindstone.

That is how it's done ----- being organized, determined, and sticking to a game plan that makes sense.

Yup, it can be done if you're the super-organised personality type.

I am not! I have got everything organised now, mainly by outsourcing cleaning/dog walking/horse care, while I work to pay for it all! Works for me. But I nearly had a breakdown when I was trying to do it all myself and working part-time.

Lauren - I know exactly how you feel because it's really frustrating when you want to compete and your horse is off work for possibly forever! But I'd look into sharing first. There are loads of people round here with nice horses they'd be happy to share, and to have someone compete for them. I'm sure you could find a great horse to ride without the commitment of taking on a second. Remember it's two lots of shoes, two lots of insurance, two lots of dental care etc etc. It's sooooo expensive!

Reactions: Lollykay
I couldn't do it, I have a hard enough time with one and she's easy.
If you think you can cope with the time and the extra cost why not though.

I used to manage 3 (then stabled at night) and a full time job, its doable but it meant I left the house at 5am and rarely got home until 9pm, that was with Bo in full work, pheonix semi-retired and jess as a baby needing groundwork regularly. It took a lot of commitment and putting them before my social life as when you have multiple horses you only get half as many favors to ask people to help you out.

If you could find a set up where they could live out together or have free access to a stable/barn that might work better, I don't find having 2 any particular bother with my own field as I can pre do things and leave the poo picking for a day if I need to, you just can't do that when you are sharing space.

newrider.com