Have you seen this......shocking....I am disgusted with FRC

fairlady

Jul 14, 2007
Bristol
What are the FRC thinking? He should be BANNED FOR LIFE !!!:stomp::stomp: tHIS WAS IN H & Hound.......................

Two horses deliberately lamed by farrier
Charlotte White, H&H deputy news editor

11 June, 2012

Subscribe to H&H today and save up to £50 across the year!

The owner of two horses deliberately lamed by her former farrier has blasted the Farriers Registration Council (FRC) for not barring him from shoeing horses again.

Mark Wellfair of Bentham, Glos, was handed a three-month ban, running until 23 August, by the FRC’s disciplinary committee on 24 April.

He was convicted of criminal damage to Cassandra Price’s horses on 21 July 2011 at Cheltenham Magistrates Court.

The court conditionally discharged him and ordered him to pay £220.80 compensation with £85 costs.

“I feel completely let down by the system,” said Miss Price. “The cruelty he caused to my horses was horrendous.”

Wellfair shod Miss Price’s horses for five years before she changed farriers in January 2011.

On 7 and 23 February 2011, Wellfair went into Miss Price’s field and pulled a shoe off first her five-year-old eventer Coolagadden Clover (known as Eric) and, on the second occasion, her advanced eventer Arron Carneval Hill II (Arron).

The shoes were pulled off with pliers and the hoof cut back, with large amounts of the hoof wall removed. In Arron’s case, the lamini were revealed, causing the hoof to bleed.

Both horses needed remedial farriery and Arron will always need stick-on shoes.

A vet told the hearing that it would have caused both horses pain and unnecessary suffering.

“Mark told the FRC he wanted to cause me inconvenience,” said Miss Price, “but the suffering he caused to my horses was absolutely disgusting.

“They trusted him because he had been their farrier.”

She said she felt disappointed that the police had prosecuted Wellfair for criminal damage rather than animal cruelty and that the FRC had not banned him for life.

A spokesman for the FRC said: “A three-month suspension is relatively rare and is a serious finding, which the committee considered was fair — taking into account the recovery time for the horses, the impact on the profession and that Mr Wellfair fully admitted the charges and showed remorse for his actions.”

She added that if the committee had felt Wellfair was indifferent to the suffering he caused the horses, it would have barred him from working again.

Wellfair could not be reached by H&H for comment.

This news story was first published in the current issue of H&H (7 June 2012)

There are loads of comments under the article, some saying there is 'more' to the story and I have no doubt thats true.....but most totally slating him....However
NOTHING excuses the fact that 'whatever his gripe' he knew exactly what he was doing and still chose to take his anger out on her Horses:stomp::stomp: I think with all the publicity he will be extremely lucky to ever work again as a Farrier anyway !

Last edited:
I know EXACTLY what I would have been pairing with a flipping hoof knife had he doen that to my horses!!!! :furious: :stomp:

Whatever 'more' there was to the story,it can be no justification for causing an animal pain and suffering.There can be no doubt he did it as he has been charged,that should be enough for him to never be allowed near another horse in a professional capacity IMO.
Totally inappropriate and cruel behaviour and I am disgusted he is still allowed to be registered,does not inspire me with confidence FRC I'm afraid.

Also confused as to why he wasn't charged with animal cruelty TBH??

I was discussing this earlier on facebook...

I am disgusted he has not only been charged with animal cruelty, but even still allowed to work with them. He has caused harm and pain to an animal in what sounds like retaliation ( regardless of actual story - he caused pain of his own back)

If he worked with children and harmed them, he would not be allowed to still work with them? this is because they are classed as vunerable...

Animals are also vunerable, he should not be allowed anywhere near them in his position of work ( He is someone in which we would trust) He has used his knowledge to carry out destruction.

I am so disgusted. I hope anyone with any sense will drop him as their farrier and I hope therefore he never has access to shoe/trim another horse ever again.

This case proves beyond doubt to me that the FRC disciplinary system is a joke:banghead: What the hell do you have to do to actually get permanently struck off???

It is completely disgusting.. This is on the FRC website.. Wonder what you have to do in order to get struck off then if they don't view this as serious enough?!

Disciplinary Committee
9. The procedures used by the Disciplinary Committee closely follow those of a Court of Law. Proceedings are open to the public and witnesses are called and may be cross-examined on oath. The complaint is presented by the Council's solicitor and/or barrister with the complainant normally being called as a witness.

Outcome
10. In any case where the allegation is found to be proved, and the Committee consider it to be serious misconduct in a professional respect, the Committee has the power to:

a) direct that the Farrier's name be removed from the Register;
or
b) direct that the registration of the Farrier be suspended for a specified period;
or
c) make no direction with respect to the Farrier;
or
d) postpone judgment.

newrider.com