Have I given in once too many? - Quite long

Dizzy Woo

Apr 20, 2008
Dorset
Have been riding Daisy for two years now, hacking out alone and in company - she much prefers company but i do try to make a point of going out once a week on our own just to keep 'ontop' of things. going out alone can be slow to start with but always ends up great once we are away from home.
Daisy is a good girl but one of her 'things' is she likes solid ground and it can be difficult to get her to go through mud and boggy bits sometimes. well friday and saturday we went out with Daisy's favourite field neighbour for two wonderful hacks where she was a star, but during both rides we came accross some really boggy muddy bits which she refused to go through she starting twirling and reversing :eek: friend up ahead waiting patiently so i hopped off and lead Daisy through, hopped on again and all was fine.
well today was our day on our own, she was really laid back and happy, tacked up, hopped on as usual and went to go out and she absolutely refused to go down the track just outside our field. Schooled her in opposite field for about half hour - perfect. went to go out again and she starts twirling around, the track is extremely lumpy and stony and i have had a concern over her feet for a few weeks so i think right i will lead you down the lane, hop on after the stony bit but she still wouldnt go out. :confused:
this is so unlike Daisy but now i am thinking because i got off twice and led her through a scary bit is she going to try and get out of everything or was there something up ahead she didnt like? so worried i have messed up all our work.
i suppose my concern is that have i been too soft encouraging her in the scary bits? is she now going to take the p out of me. she is a strong willed Haffie but is usually so happy to please

I do think there is "something in the air" at the moment... namely spring sprightlyness :p

That said someone made an interesting post on here a few weeks back (WAlly perhaps, sorry to whoever it was if it wasnt Wally!), saying that getting off and leading is good, but you need to be non emotional when doing i t- no patting, co-ersing or cooing etc - even if they pass through the difficult patch - it is such a short space of time you cannot seperate the getting through from the nervousness and thus you are rewarding the nervousness and refusal by encouraging and patting etc. the idea is that you apply pressure to walk through (taking bridle and marching on without eye contact or looking at hossy), as soon as youve walked through the reward is the release of pressure to go through.

I agree with PFB in the way in which you lead them pass a 'problem' I will probable be jumped on for saying this but IMO If chanter is really scared of something (he grows to 17+ h and shakes) I am very gentle in the way I make him pass something (ie slowly with gentle nudges with my legs only)I personnel never get off (but that really is just me as I feel I have more control on top) If and most of the time he is just being silly I am strong with both my voice and leg and will back it up with a tap from my whip.

We have had some horrid battles normally when we go out on our own or when I make him go in front when out with a friend. I admit they are nasty to watch (he runs backward, kicks out and bucks) but once he takes one step forward I stop. after 15 months we now only have one disagreement per ride once I win he is good as gold.

Sorry really long winded didn't mean it. In answer to your question if there is nothing wrong with her feet and yes.

thanks both of you, i can def see that i could have been saying good girl and encourageing her phobia of mud - so will bear that in mind from now on. my problem is in about two years Daisy has never actually refused, twirled or gone backwards all in one go! leg on and my repeated encouragement of walk on walk on usually does the trick but she was just soooooooooo different yesterday. going out again at lunch time so now wondering whether to just walk her out all matter of factly and then get on or go back to what i usually do and just expect her to behave and that it was just a funny five minutes :confused:

newrider.com