Hats & Body Protectors

Innocence

Jun 1, 2009
Hi all,

My daughter had her first fall of a RS pony at the weekend and has requested a body protector to stop from hurting herself in future.

What are you recommendations for a small child (age 5 nearly 6) for type of BP. She also needs a new hat soon, she won't be competing or anything so just something that is good and meets all the required standard.

Your recommendations please?

You can't go better than the Charles Owen hats in my opinion for value for money. They look smart and they're not expensive, but they don't compromise on safety. Champion hats are good too, but a bit more expensive. If you get her a skull cap you can change the silks as she goes through phases of favourite colours :)
Can't be much help with body protectors I'm afraid. OH's little sister (she's 12) has this little blue one - can't remember the make but if you type "body protector" into ebay it's the most common one I would guess!

Hat wise, obviously go with what fits, I found from when I used to fit hats people either have a "champion head" or a "charles owen head"! I have a charles owen head and I know champion hats won't fit me.

Body protector wise I have a rodney powell and I love it. They are fairly stiff to start with but the more you wear it the better it becomes and it moulds to your body shape. I also like the rodney powell range because of their vast size range and they do go down to really small sizes for kids.

daughter is a very tiny 8 - she has an airowear bp in xxs and airowear had to make it even smaller

so for BP - it HAS to fit - forget colour make style - find the one that fits and is comfy - mine HATED the Rodney Powell as she fell off a lot more in it as she couldn't bend at all - it was like a body cast on her - the airowear is much more flexible but i'd prefer the racesafe but they don't go small enough for her and to be made to measure would be twice the price of the airowear and no more protection so we stick to airowear!!

Same for a hat - go to somewhere with a big choice and make sure they get the one that fits best

My daughter is a charles owen head! Champion were at Badders and they said her head shape is wrong for their hats - fair play to them - so we got a Charles Owen jockey hat - cost us £90 mind as it was the best fit - whyyyyyyyy couldn't the £38 fit her eh!!!!!

We are just in the process of ordering a ProTector for her for jumping as that is made to fit her as she has a tiny head that's an odd shape!!!!!! But its just shy of £300 so you'd be wanting to be riding every day to justify that cost!!!!!!!

Airowear are nice BP, I dont like the racesafe ones due to the big gaps between the foam, but thats each to their own...the lady in a tack tried to sell me one but they were more expensive than the airowear ones ....

I think really the best option is to try hats and bp on then browse the net for better prices than a tack shop.

daughter is a very tiny 8 - she has an airowear bp in xxs and airowear had to make it even smaller

so for BP - it HAS to fit - forget colour make style - find the one that fits and is comfy - mine HATED the Rodney Powell as she fell off a lot more in it as she couldn't bend at all - it was like a body cast on her - the airowear is much more flexible but i'd prefer the racesafe but they don't go small enough for her and to be made to measure would be twice the price of the airowear and no more protection so we stick to airowear!!

This really concerns me about kids learning to ride nowadays. A young girl has been pottering about on Rhia and having lessons. She has been really good and her position was great. Then her non-horsey parents went out and got a "bargain" body protector (not sure on brand but was reduced), she looks like the Michelin man and can't physically get a good position, she just bounds around and in my eyes, her skill has severely suffered. To make matters worse she has also inherited a bouncy little pony, she is actually a bit frightened of, I'm just waiting for her to fall off. Such a shame because without the body protector, and learning on a horse that is safe and she trusted, I really doubt she would fall off. I've seen them at shows as well, kids that look un-safe because their BP is massive or un-flexible. Just looks dangerous in my eyes. I will suggest they swap for an airowear or racesafe that FITS, thanks for that post :)

I must admit i don't like rodney powell either, i got one of these to begin with and the fit was so bad i sold it on. I like the airowear so will have a look about and see who stocks, then try some one.

Thanks for you help peeps!

newrider.com