Hat standards latest News...Good for some I think

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
I found this just now, which means if you are competiting at BD you can still wear your old standard hat until the end of 2016. I think this is good as they have not agreed the new standard so I was not happy to buy a new one with a VG1. Hopefully by the end of 2016 they will have the new standards sorted.

Also hopefully the BHS/PC/RC/BE/BSJ will following suit

BS EN 1384 Standard Withdrawal

19th March 2015

British Dressage allows EN1384 hats for 1 year longer!

Following the announcement in December by the EU Commission that the BS/EN1384 hat standard has been withdrawn, British Dressage has decided to revise its approach to the removal of the standard. Hats with the BS/EN1384 standard will continue to be permitted for use in British Dressage Competitions throughout 2015 and 2016. British Dressage will still be removing the BS/EN1384 from the list of recommended standards from the 1stJanuary 2017, but will allow the BS/EN1384 standard to be worn until at least January 2017, this may even be extended depending on the publication of the new harmonised European standard, the date for which has yet to be confirmed.

BD do advise that members should update their hats regularly and when doing so that they meet one of the current standards.

The link below show when and what
http://westgateefi.s3.amazonaws.com/CMS/Hat Safety Standards 2015-16-17.pdf

Dare I say it, but what has Europe got to do with poking its nose into our standards.
I also felt our standards were pretty much up there with the best?

Reactions: Trewsers
@newforest Could not agree with you more and I could rant on over it. Stupid people, they removed the current standard and replaced it with a temp VG1 so at the end of the year when we all could know longer use ours we had to wait until the new standard comes out (God know when and how over priced as they know everyone would need it) or buy a temp VG1 which will be good for how long before they withdraw that one. Idiots.

Reactions: Trewsers
Thank you for posting that chart. However, each one of us has to make individual choices where safety is concerned. I do let my grand children have the occasional ride in the cheaper BS 1384 hats of which we have a number in various sizes.
But for the grandchild who is a regular rider and who jumps, we advised her mother to buy her a hat to a higher standard. I did this following the example of horsey parents on another forum.
I can understand posters here possibly not being able to afford better replacement hats but I see no reason to rejoice that you are being allowed to wear hats with less than optimal protection. I have fallen off in both old and newer standards and I know how much difference it makes to have the extra padding to the edge of the hat.

When I see OBC complaining of the cost, I cant help mentioning how odd I find the whole equestrian world which has this archaic requirement for different clothes and different hats for every type of competition. OH and I own one hat each. Each time I need to replace mine, I keep my previous hat to wear for yard work.
I think it is all to easy to rely on standards imposed or not imposed by the EU and the equestrian organisations. Far better to look at the improvements in hat design and to find a hat that fits and gives one the best protection.

Skib the hats we wear now which comply currently are perfectly safe, in fact I'm fairly certain (but could be wrong) that the British standard is one of the best in the world. I think the issue is that those of us who may have recently purchased a hat felt a bit cheated that suddenly our hats were no longer permitted for competition use. I don't compete so it's not an issue for me and I shall continue to wear my current hat until I either hit it on the floor (hopefully not) or I've had it three years and believe my I'm very precious about my head! It's got nothing to do with affordability.

I usually have opted for the PAS015. If you don't compete or have anything to do with the Pc or Rc then you aren't effected. Leisure riders etc.

I dont think that is quite right OBC. The various kids hats we have are kitemarked (and RS permissable) but not to the standard of latest hats. The Gatehouse HS1 which I wear certainly changed for the better and I think that was 2011.

Thank you for posting that chart. However, each one of us has to make individual choices where safety is concerned. I do let my grand children have the occasional ride in the cheaper BS 1384 hats of which we have a number in various sizes.
But for the grandchild who is a regular rider and who jumps, we advised her mother to buy her a hat to a higher standard. I did this following the example of horsey parents on another forum.
I can understand posters here possibly not being able to afford better replacement hats but I see no reason to rejoice that you are being allowed to wear hats with less than optimal protection. I have fallen off in both old and newer standards and I know how much difference it makes to have the extra padding to the edge of the hat.

When I see OBC complaining of the cost, I cant help mentioning how odd I find the whole equestrian world which has this archaic requirement for different clothes and different hats for every type of competition. OH and I own one hat each. Each time I need to replace mine, I keep my previous hat to wear for yard work.
I think it is all to easy to rely on standards imposed or not imposed by the EU and the equestrian organisations. Far better to look at the improvements in hat design and to find a hat that fits and gives one the best protection.

@Skib hmm I am hoping this this is crossed wire or else I am more than a little mad. My UVEX hat cost £270 pounds and is one of the safest on the market but made in Germany as are a lot of the top quality hats. The new EU ruling would mean I would not be able to wear it post 2015. The new standard or tests have not even been agreed and by all account the tests are not changing just the kitemark given. My hat has not been dropped or banged in the very short time I have owned it. I would then have to go and replace it with another hat meaning my hat that there is nothing wrong with is useless.

@Kite_Rider said I was not for one second telling people to go out and buy or keep using sub standard hats but to let other people like me who comp regularly that they can take a breath and not have to rush out a buy VG1 or wait until the new standard has been issued.

I do not wear a hat for yard work. I have one very expensive hat that can be used in all disciplines I brought the very best I could afford as my head is very important to me. So yes I will have a pop at the EU when they say my hat is no longer to the correct safety level and no I can't pull out another £270 out my bum to replace it in my eyes unnecessarily.

As for your last comment check the link and contact Gatehouse direct they posted this I copied for other peoples interest I am sure they would check their facts before publishing the details..

And I say again this is for people that compete and have to follow their disciplines rules. What you wear out hacking on your own private yard is your own business not the EUs

That's the last time I try and be helpful

newrider.com