Hat, boots and body protector

Aug 20, 2015
Hi all. I'm new on here. Just getting back into riding after a few lessons as a kid and the odd ride over the years. Now at the age of 40 it's starting to become a real passion.

Had a few lessons this summer and want to continue so feel it's time to ditch the 30year old hat and boots and definitely buy a body protector. I've done loads of research and asked around. Have decided I'm a long boots person, chaps are not my cuppa. Also I love the idea of a peak on a hat but have read that fixed peaks can be dangerous so skull and silk seems to be the way to go. Apart from this I have absolutely no idea. Please help! Don't want to spend loads on something which isn't close to perfect. Any advice or recommendations would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance!

Hello:D
I love my Charles and Owen hat - its a velvet covered one, kids and because its a kids version, it has no VAT and is cheaper. I've gone through several over the years and always go back to that particular brand. I think my latest one was about £60 ish.
I have a Rodney Powell bp which could prob do with updating but for what I do on my horse its fine and does the job. It was quite expensive initially but has worn very well. You have to get them properly fitted though. Long boots wise you can't beat Mountain Horse High Riders for comfort, fit and also actual riding and leg position. I like jodh boots to wear around the place but only seem to ride in them when its very warm. If you prefer long boots then MH are a pretty good place to start.

Thanks Trewsers. I'll check all these out. I have a large head :eek: so will probably end up paying top whack for be adult hat but don't mind if it's the right one for me. I need a peak to stop the sun getting in my eyes as much as poss but have seen lots of folk wearing them pushed back. The MH boots sound just what I'm after. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Trewsers
I got my bp on eBay for £35. It's made by JS Horse (whoever they are - but they meet safety criterior) and I can't fault it. The sides are laced so you can get it on and off easily and I don't find it restrictive at all. It's very similar to this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADULT-MED...PROTECTOR-B-/171901539537?hash=item28062154d1

I find long boots uncomfortable so wear short boots and chaps so can't help you out there.

I also have a Charles Owen kids hat and I love it. I had a Just Togs one before this one and found it dug into my head. Make sure you try various hats on as, like people's heads, they're not all the same shape.

There are lots of new hats on the market as the standard is changing at the end of the year. Some of the ventilated ones are very comfortable and approved to PAS 015 ( up to the new standard) .

Try several BPs again depending on your shape some are more comfortable than others. panelsMost peoplelike Racesafe or ones like them made of a lot of small panels.

Not sure about boots as I prefer short ones and gaiters but my daughter loves Ariat Bromonts

newrider.com