Has you vet ever....

Jeeves

Jan 31, 2009
From sunderland but at uni lincoln
Recomended you ride a lame horse?
Today i brought Jeeves in from his paddock and he was dragging his left hind realy bad and was reluctant to walk. Me and YM both thought he had broken something but when stood he will put weight on it to rest his other hind. I got the vet out as was very worried and she said he has done something to his petella. I thought she was going to say box rest and bute but she told me to ride him for an hour 3 times a day in straight lines walk and trot. I rode him this afternoon for 10 mins only in walk and he seemed to loosen off. She said if it got no better in a week to call her back out otherwise she was not worried.
Anyone else had an experience like this?
Thanks for reading

if it's his patella then the vet is possibly trying to get you to build his muscles up to hold the patella in place I think.
Why not ring her up and ask her to explain again what she wants you to do and why - because you are paying the bill and you need to know what to look out for so you know when to call her again.
I often ring my vet up after they ahve been just to check that I heard everything they said - they shouldn't mind, and like I said, you are paying the bill.
good luck - 3 hours riding a day is alot!

It's often beneficial to ride stiff or arthritic horses gently even if they're not 100% sound, so yes, it does happen.

Ours isn't ridden but due to extended box rest he has issues with his stifles and back end muscle structures, we have him on half a day turnout but have to walk him twice a day to build up his muscles, started with a 5 minute session and as he is getting stronger we are extending the period of in hand exercise at 15minutes a session now, finishing with remedial stretch exercises, starting to see improvement but it is a slow process as he finds movement difficult, sure anyone watching will be thinking of reporting me but it has to be done but doesn't make me feel any better!

We had a TB with serious arthritis and again inhand exercise twice a day was part of his routine even though he was retired.

3 hours a day does seem a lot but if that is what your vet suggests then they are the experts...... treatment for every horse/injury is specific to the patient.... I do hope it resolves soon for you its such a worry.......

Was it upward fixation of the patella? Locking stifle is helped by excercise because it builds up the muscles that are involved in unlocking the stifle.

Mia had a locking stifle and I was told to work her, but more lunging and walks up hills rather than riding because of her age at the time.

newrider.com