Has anyone used road planings to prevent mud in the field?

Sarah-B

Oct 8, 2005
Hampshire
The area in front of my field shelter gets v. muddy - I can't put down a "proper" surface (such as concrete) but the farmer has agreed to allow me to spread some road planings.

I intend to get them soon and can get 20 tons for £150 + vat . The farmhand says he'll spread them with the bucket on the tractor.

The planings company say if I do it 4" thick it'll be perfect but I wondered if anyone has any experience of these as a surface for horses?

Put something bigger down first then spread them on top of it - old demolition rubble or some such. 4" of road planings without anything underneath will just sink into the mud.

Haven't used road plannings but we hard cored gateways and shelter last summer and its worked well so far. We dug out areas first, then put in a membrane, then rubble followed by hard core and then some sand stuff to keep it in place.

Friends used road plannings on their land and it just disappeared in the mud after a while.

yup i did! well i put it in my gate way and has worked a treat! not sure for what you want it for though, i know it was 60 pounds for a load

Our YO is putting some down in our gateways but said the same about the finer stuff sinking. He described it as "what they get when they break up the roads" that's going down first. Not quite sure what the technical term for that is though!

Yes we dug all the gateways out for our fields, put some hardcore in then topped it off with road plannings.

Yep we've done a whole drive with road planings it was by far the cheapest way to do it:). Our drive used to be a muddy nightmare and now we can drive cars on it as after the first summer the road planings have started to firm up and go solid. We put a layer of Terram down first to stop the planings sinking in and it's worked really well:D

newrider.com