*Has anyone tried the Light Rider Bridle yet?*

JULIA G

Aug 30, 2007
This one ... http://www.horsemanshipnetwork.com.au/lightrider.html

Looks great, think it may be a slight improvement on the Dr Cooks - I have a DC which I love but I do like the look of the Lightrider and the fact that it isn't a crossunder bridle and doesn't "hug" the head, you don't have to have the noseband as low or tight as a DC and it also looks to have a much better release. The English version is a really smart, "normal" looking bridle too. Anyone tried it?

It looks very like a scawbrig? I used to use a Libby's one - this one does look nicer than the webbing, though :)

The scawbrig seems to me to act as a sort of bitless curb? So it tightens under the chin, in the groove where a curb chain would sit. I actually stopped using the Libby's one for exactly the reason that the person writing it up says she started using the Light Rider - the Libby's was bad at giving a clear release, and would stick. I felt through experimentation that there was a better release with the cross under I started using instead!

However that might be partly material - the webbing was a bit sticky and got caught, whereas the biothane in the Light Rider might be better.

I am interested, because the cross under doesn't work well for the single rein riding we're doing at the moment, and the main bitless alternative seems to be a sidepull...

Yes does seem similar to the Libbys one but more of an upgrade? I'm trying to find someone who has actually trialled one, otherwise my curiosity is going to get the better of me and I will have to trial one myself :rolleyes:

newrider.com