Has anyone tried a MICKLEM MULTIBRIDLE ????

I've got one! I wasnt sure about it to start with but even the vet has commented on how well it has been designed. I didnt rate the leather quality to start with but its improving with a few cleans.

The ring on the noseband is very very handy - you can tie up with it or lunge.

Arnie does not like the strongest bitless setting - even though its similar to a Dr Cooks and he's fine with that :confused:. It came in very handy when I was trying to get a bit back in his mouth. I could ride off the bitless option but have a bit in at the same time.

I would prefer more padding across the nose though for constant bitless use.

Yep, worth it in my book:D

I got my dad one for our arab gelding as we had been using a hackamore but found it rubbed his face as did the Dr cook bridle and I have to say it lookes better on than off and I'm really chuffed with how well he is going in it, my dad loves it and the shape is perfect for his face I will be using it for my youngsters as I love the bit clips my only gripe is the ring is useful but I wish it was flat on the nose and not slightly rigdged.

Thanks for the replies :)

I have never tried my mare bitless, and have been wanting to try for quite a while now, do you think this bridle is a good starting place?

Or are there any others out there that are as good ??

OR ....
Has anyone got a bitless bridle i can loan for a couple of weeks :D

I'll pay postage and a 'loan fee' :p

Micklem multibridle

Hi all

This is my first time on the forums, but is the place I always look if I need advice on any subject. Didn't even need to pose the question! My part arab mare is a head shaker and I've been pondering going bitless but am scared of the possible consequences - she can be a bit quick and has bolted with me in the past. I've been thinking about trying the Micklem multibridle or a Dr Cooks. Anyone got any recommendations either way? Also I've heard that the Micklem bridles can come up a bit big - if so what size should I get for my part arab mare who usually wears cob sized bridles for the brow and nosebands but almost always come up too long on the cheek pieces.
Thanks!

You can get fairly cheap leather Dr Cooks copies off ebay - they would give you an idea if you like it or not (dont buy the cheap webbing one, its crap:().

If you buy the real mcCoy Dr Cooks you have a 30 day trial period where you can return it if you dont like it.

I had my Dr Cooks now for over a year and although he was lovely to start with, he is heavy in the hand now and pulls his head to the floor. Recently I have been riding him in an English hackamore and he is going very very well in it. I do love my Dr Cooks though and it was a total turnaround for us. Instead of a stressed, unhappy horse, I had a calm and relaxed boy - literally in days.

I have never had any problems with brakes or steering in it out hacking - and can WTCG in company safely:D

Cant help with the sizing for the multibridle. I bought the small horse one for Arnie who is between a cob and a full size bridle normally. It fits him well. Different retailers have it down as different sizes but you can get the measurements and check with horsewear direct.

I've tended to use the MM with a bit rather than bitless. I prefer the Dr Cooks bitless. The MM seems to attach the reins further up his face which he is not so keen on.

Hi I got a standard for our full arab gelding though he fit fine into a sabre cob size so you would be best to check and the Dr Cook copies are cheaper to begin with though I much prefer the Miclem as the Dr Cook copy rubbed my lads face, all preference I guess

I've decided I'm going to measure Pippa and see if I can get her a sensible sized Micklem as they seem so versatile. At least I can try it bitless but then still use it with a bit if I need to. Might have to wait a little while though as rather lacking in funds after ordering a new saddle today:D (Thorowgood T4). I'm also hoping that a new more comfortable saddle (the other one apparently doesnt fit after just 6 months of ownership....) will help her head shaking, also getting the vet out to check teeth etc. Then it's on to the bridles......
Thanks for your help!

newrider.com