Has anyone ridden 'on a ticket' before?

DITZ

Dec 31, 2002
Visit site
I am just curious as to how to go about this. I think I am about as ready as I am going to be with my horse, at least for the level I am looking to do.

I find it hard to find decent unaffiliated shows that are local to me and at reasonable times of the day and so I was considering joining bsja in the near future but thought ticketing would be ideal first.

I am not in it to win it as anyone who reads my threads knows but I do enjoy having a go and so riding ticketed would suit me I think. (You watch I'll start winning now and wont be able to claim ANY glory - that'll be just my luck! Well I can dream..)

Also, another couple of Q's, do you have to be affiliated to do the clear round classes before the competiton and also, do you have to have insurance even if you ride on a ticket? (Am I right in thinking you have to have to join bsja?).

I dont have my horse insured:rolleyes:

Your horse should always be insured for third party liability if you plan to be out in public. Rest is up to you. When you insure your horse, you choose which "group" it is in and BSJA is covered by one of those (think it's group 2) If you ARE a BSJA member, you get some of your insurance included.

To ride on a ticket you pay the class entry fee and then the ticket fee on top (is it still £6?). You are not eligible to qualify for anything/win any money, but it's a good way to see if you and your horse are ready for affiliated tracks.

You're best to phone the show organisers/BSJA before the show to check they're allowing ticket entries, most do but not all so it's always best to make sure so that it's not a wasted journey!

With regards to the clear round comps, not sure, but guess someone on here might know. If not, you could always ask whoever you phone to check if they're allowing ticket entries! :D

Re tickets yes they are a fantastic way to find out if your horse has the scope for affiliated dressage or showjumping without all the joining expense. Can't generalise about the preshow warm ups but Markfield near us run two unaffilliated classes at the start of the day which are great for starting horses as the courses are small but built to correct distances etc

I've ridden on a ticket in two classes this past winter.

It was £6 plus the price of the class (around £8-£15)

You don't have to be affiliated to do the clear round classes, at least at my couple of local show centres you don't have to be - I'd still ring them up and check.

I'm not really sure about the situation with third party insurance.. I already have it as a British Eventing member and a pony club member.

My experience with jumping on a ticket was that the course was built and designed far better than most unaffiliated courses, and the event seemed much more organised, things running better to time. This centre built very up-to-height, but I think it would depend on the place. BSJA (and British Eventing even more..) are very keen on the square parellels, and jumps tend to be built a bit wider than those at unaffiliated events. The classes round here are pretty full, and the quality of some of the horses is pretty intimidating.. however your dream of winning was a bit of a reality for me.. I did my first British Novice and came 2nd out of 50 horses - then I didn't even get a rosette, had I been registered I would have got about £14 on my card as well - however I needed the ticket to show that joining isn't going to be a total waste. I have also competed at Discovery on a ticket, jice course, but I had one pole down in the jump-off.

Anyway, tickets have convinced me to join, and this winter I will be joining to practice my showjumping ready for the next event season :)

I'd say, go and have a go, if you are happy jumping 3' to 3'3 at home, then the smaller classes should be well within reach.

Rachel xx

Cheers I think I will. I go to training days at Arena eml, have you been there? Or Poskitts? I've never been to Poskitts but Arena's courses are really well built and seem to suit my horses striding well. I've been doing the 90cm courses there and clearing with no real problems. Well nothing that cant be fixed anyway. I really like jumping there and its quite convenient for me to get to plus hopefully limited hanging about (which I hate as I am generally on my own feeling the pressure of knowing my family is waiting for me to come home).

Rachelevent that must have been a bittersweet victory!

I had a look at the membership prices on BSJA and cant work out whether I'd need associate or full membership? Anyone know the difference?

newrider.com