Has anyone got a Happy Wheel bitless? Fitting tips?

Sarah-B

Oct 8, 2005
Hampshire
I couldn't resist the fact they were only £17 in the Robinsons sale and it came this morning. The instructions are German and they enclosed a photocopied translation but it's not very clear and there are no instructions at all on how to fit the thing!!

So, does anyone know? Anyone have any piccies?

Help!!

I have 2 of them.
I have a card with mine that has english on it, I will see if I can scan it and send it to you.
But basically the nose strap buckles on, and then you buckle the chin strap on, I have done mine so there is one segment between nose and chin, and the bridle cheekpiece goes in the spare segment.

I then put the reins on one of the bottom 3 segments (I think theres 3) depending on how much leverage i think I need, I usually just use the middle one tho.
I do 4 fingers up from the nostrils like I would with a hackamore.

No Angel - if you could scan your card that'd be fab. You don't have any piccies do you?

Also, what do you think of them?

Here is my tb in her happywheel
Maddiehappywheel.jpg

I like the happywheel, it hangs neutral most of the time unless I need some pressure on it, maddie pulled through the dr cook and got horrible rubs on her face from it, but with the happywheel she doesn't try to pull through it so much.

My big cob has one as well and it seems to work with him aswell, I prefer the happywheel to hackamores as you can vary the pressure you want and there are no cheeks to get in the horses mouth.

Here is my tb in her happywheel
Maddiehappywheel.jpg

I like the happywheel, it hangs neutral most of the time unless I need some pressure on it, maddie pulled through the dr cook and got horrible rubs on her face from it, but with the happywheel she doesn't try to pull through it so much.

My big cob has one as well and it seems to work with him aswell, I prefer the happywheel to hackamores as you can vary the pressure you want and there are no cheeks to get in the horses mouth.

just curious - do the cheek pieces move/slide at all with the happy wheel bit? i recently used a hackamore on my mare (as she had a cut on her mouth so couldn't use a bit) and she was very light (previous owner rode her in one all the time on no contact) and worked quite happily except it kept sliding to one side and the cheekpiece was nearly on her eye so i kept having to stop and readjust it. most of the time i was on next to no contact, i put a thread about it slipping but it didn't really tell me anything:eek:

not trying to take over you thread Sarah-B, but as a hackamore was mentioned...

Mine didn't come with the little shanks in your picture, I'm going to have to attach the reins straight to he wheel - do you thhink that'll affect fit?

Did you get the shanks with yours? I know on the LGBridle (which is same as the Happy Wheel) the shanks are extra.

How tight do you do the noseband up? Also how should I fit the curb?

Sorry for all the questions!! :rolleyes:

newrider.com