Has anyone ever lost confidence and trust in their instructor?

wordie with teacher time hun. Lay it on the line and be honest, thats the only way he/she can help you

Can i ask what your instructor did to make you lose confidence in her/him? Definately have a chat with her, if she is your friend she will understand as long as you are tactful. It can be very hard to tell anyone you are not happy with their services but especially hard when they are your friend. If you really are not getting on with her teaching methods then you need to change instructors. Sorry if your instructor is male cos ive been calling them she all the way through lol. x

:( Sorry if this doesn't help you, but I didn't solve it. I left and never regained my confidence. I had lessons with an instructor who shouted at me, made me cry several times, put me down in front of other people and broke me. I have never, ever regained my self or riding confidence and I hate myself for putting up with her b******t. :mad:
That said, one of my more recent RI's didn't like me and we frequently bickered. She would scold me and put me down, picking on me for little things. However I changed my atittude and stopped answering back as much even when I disagreed with her, started being more polite and listened more to what she had to say. Our relationship started to change and I grew very fond of the old bag. ;) She has since left and I miss her. :(

I can't believe I spent hundreds of pounds on the first RI. I had been so confident before and had an absolute saint of a RI for a few years before her, and a year under the new RI's rule utterly changed me. However I have since become more hardy. Now, I won't put up with any RI's s**t. If I disagree, I will darn well say so. The word of you RI does not rule!

Can you tell I feel bitter about it? :eek:

So give your RI a chance and some time, but don't put up with her any longer than necessary if you don't click together. Don't have lessons just for the sake of having lessons - if they aren't working for you, then don't do them.

x

Last edited:
Sadly the last teacher I had was a patronising old baggage, I lost faith before the lesson started, then 5 minutes in I gave up ........ Never been so patronised and dissappointed with an instructor in my life.

I gave one of mine a good 6 months, then had a revealing lesson with someone else-learnt more in half an hour than I had in the previous 6 months-amazing.

Have a heart to heart with her and either sort out your differences or your friendship and see if you need to choose a different RI.:( Hard, but you need what's best for you and the horse.

hello, Sorry I am new to the forum but I have been following a lot of the threads over the past couple of weeks.

I can't not believe that so many people will put up with a bully for an RI. You pay for their service not for their abuse. I agree with the other lady talk with your feet. Your RI is their to encourge and support you. You should always come away from a lesson happy not just because you have had a good ride or managed something new or difference but because he/she makes you feel like you have!

No friend be it RI or not should ever let you feel this bad about yourself, you and your horse deserve so much better. Good luck x

If i dont have lessons we wont be friends, she gave that impression.

Then she's not a very good friend. Friends try out things all the time, not all of them work out - living together, travelling together, going in business together, etc. If it doesn't work out and they get mad and want to drop your friendship just because you want to get out, they're not placing a high value on your friendship.

newrider.com