Has anyone ever been to Brenfield riding centre in Adrishaig, Argyll?

ohhh wow! What was it like there? Was it good conditions? etc, i bought my horse from them you see! Wanted to know what it was like where she came from. They transported her here so i never even seen her before she arrived! lol:p But iwas only loan to start with!

I went for a weekend a few years back. Can't say much about the riding side of things (as I had humiliating panic attack and had to turn back :eek: Through no fault of the horses I may add!). My friends had a fantastic ride there. Horses all appeared well looked after and happy, well their 'work' involved going out and about in lovely hills and countryside, plus some swimming :) They treat their horses well in general, no rough handling or anything in evidence. Tove (owner) was lovely, very knowledgable, and filled me full of nettle tea to calm me down...

Would love to go back though, once my confidence is higher.

how long ago was that you were there? And yeah i thought she did seem to be well looked after, apart from she wasn't vaccinated before i got her, and also she had a very bad fitting saddle that came with her, but i didn't think she'd been beaten or anything like that. Do you know if they still loan out their horses in the winter?:)

That was in Summer 2004. I didn't know they loaned horses out over winter, or I'd have been pestering for one when I was horseless :D

Some of the saddles were quite different (military style) ones, which I personally didn't like. No idea how well they fitted though.

hmm.....oh well i don't know, it was a medium width saddle and she's an xxw!:eek: and it was also 1/2" too long for her! Maybe they give people their crappy one's in the winter? lol

You should put your name on the list for the loan in the winter!

ETA Shian is in a pic on the visit scotland website advertising them!!!:D

Last edited:
I first met Molly when I went riding at Brenfield when I was on holiday in the area.
When I got back I posted on here about my ride, and someone happened to comment saying that she kept her horse at Brenfield.

So we swapped a few emails and she mentioned that there might be a chance that I could have Molly on loan over the winter. I didnt think much of it seeing as she was 300 miles away from where I live, but 2 months down the line, she came to stay on loan in October 2007. Then, in March '08, I bought her :)

Hi I'm the one who used to keep my horse at Brenfield - don't know how many horses will be going out on loan this winter, most of them usually go to colleges (eg Bishop Burton) - they tend not to keep many horses at Brenfield over winter, as the business revolves around the tourist season.

They use 'trail' saddles - they are synthetic, western style saddles, which work very well for the trail rides etc. Rare to see a horse out of work with a sore back, they take good care of the horses. The trail saddles don't go with the loan horses - there's an assumption (I think) that English style saddles are preferred by loaners. Certainly the colleges won't accept trail saddles. Guess you were unlucky to be given a saddle that didn't fit - very unlikely Shian was ridden in it at Brenfield.

maryb

yeah, it was defo an english saddle i got, it was far too narrow for her! i have a treeless now though:D

newrider.com