Has anyone else got problems with wonky knees?

laurakw

Apr 3, 2009
I have been learning to ride since March and I am having one group and one private lesson a week but only started private a few weeks ago.

I had problems with my knees when I was at school and had to see the physio and also had lots of orthopaedic supports in my shoes to try and straighten them out. They are a lot better now as an adult and I can walk perfectly fine but when I am riding I am struggling to keep my legs in contact with the horse.
When my feet are pointing straight ahead my knees point inwards and if I make my knees point straight forward it turns my feet outwards. It is making it quite an effort to keep my lower legs on the horse as it makes my knees and ankles bend in ways they really don't like going.

I just wondered if anyone else has any similar problems and whether with time my legs will tolerate it better with time - the only other thing my RI has said is that I seem to manage better on a rounder bellied horse as my legs fit round them better! But I can't always guarantee that I will get such a horse!!

Thanks!

I "blew out" my right knee years ago and am badly knock kneed these days, when I ride my knees stick out, but it's not affecting the way I ride or anything and my RI hasn't ever said anything about it ...

newrider.com