Has anyone been on a clicker training course?

LOVE clicker training! :)

There are no courses near me. Sometimes there are travelling clinics. Or they do demonstrations at horse expo shows, so you may want to check your area's expos. You can also check the Clicker training site which lists clicker seminars to see if they plan to do any in europe.

There are videos on the topic, and the basics aren't hard to pick up. I learned how to do clicker with the help of a demonstration from a friend, reading the Clicker Train Your Horse book, and by asking questions on the clicker training list. The rest is just doing it and seeing what works.

If you get started and have any specific questions, there are a few clicker people here (including myself) who would be happy to help you.

Don't know about the sorts of courses you are looking for - you are more likely to find a clinic where they simlpy demonstrate and talk. I've just been to one with Shawna Karrasch (sp?) - not sure I'd recommend her for anyone but complete beginners.

However, Alexandra Kurland is supposed to be coming to NZ and I'd really like to see her and discuss ideas. I've read 2 of her books - if you are starting out I would highly recommend them. There are lots of ideas, clear instructions, lots of theory to explain what and why you are doing things and lots of photos and case studies.

Clicker Training for your horse

The Click That Teaches: A Step-By-Step Guide in Pictures

Yes - I'm actually going to my second one this month :)

I'm going to the one Becky Holden holds in Devon at Heather Moffett's yard - I went to the into one and it was brilliant. SO much better than reading it from a book, and you can really grasp what it is all about!

Just once you've started, don't lose the clicker like I've done :eek: :D

Thanks for all of the suggestions :D

Dales_Lover said:
Yes - I'm actually going to my second one this month :)

I'm going to the one Becky Holden holds in Devon at Heather Moffett's yard - I went to the into one and it was brilliant. SO much better than reading it from a book, and you can really grasp what it is all about!

Just once you've started, don't lose the clicker like I've done :eek: :D
I saw that one on the interweb, and wondered if it was any good. Nice to have a personal recommendation :) However Devon is a looooooooonnnnng way from me - would have to factor in flying down if I cannot find anything closer :p

I have been to demos run by our HiPo enthusiasts group. One of our members in N Yorks is very into clicker work.
I have been messing about with Eriskay doing a bit as it is fun and great for giving groundwork some point.
I'm waiting for my step by step book to arrive and if we make progress I'll let you know!

Have a look at this pic taken at the demo:
Lottie at clicker demo

Gill said:
I'm waiting for my step by step book to arrive and if we make progress I'll let you know!

Have a look at this pic taken at the demo:
Lottie at clicker demo
Ooooo you'll have to give us regular updates. I've only every tried clicker training my cat. Either she isn't very bright, or I'm not very patient, because we've got no further than her turning into a 10lb fluffy mugger whenever the clicker comes out... :rolleyes:

That pic is brilliant! .....now where's that clicker....? :p

newrider.com