has anybody had acl reconstruction?

mystiquemalaika

Jan 7, 2013
Hi I tore my acl in my left knee in September,just got a cancelled appointment to have an acl reconstruction on the 29th of jan,im bit scared and wondered if anyone has had this done?my surgeon told me I wont be able to ride for up to a year which has shocked me I know its a long recovery with alot of rehab but I didn't expect to not be able to ride as long. Really just would like to know anyone experience and maybe a little reassurance too :)

I had a 70% tear of my ACL after falling over skiing (that did it partially) and then went to go horse riding - tried to haul my up onto the horse which ripped it further. Yes, ouch! I was in the USA at the time & the insurance wouldn't pay out for surgery, only physio. I had a lot of physio for about 3 months, starting in the Jan/Feb & by that spring I was playing softball although I was slightly hindered by my injury.

Once I got home I went to visit the Dr again about my knee as it wasn't completely healed - I couldn't straighten & lock my knee for several months. I had an arthroscopy in about July/August which confirmed the 70% tear & said I should really have had reconstructive surgery but by then it was too late. Recovery from the arthroscopy took a few days - that in itself was quite sore.

Does it affect me now? Not really but it happened about 12 years ago. I would be cautious skiing again although I have skied since, several times, without issue. Otherwise it is now not painful, ever. It *can* get a little swollen with fluid if I am on my feet for many hours or doing something uber extreme but really not often and never painful. I did ride while I was going through physio, however I was riding western not english & only very gently.

I'm sure you will be fine. This is a common procedure, recovery will likely take a while but I advise you really make sure you give your body the time it needs. Recovery from the arthroscopy was frustrating enough but your body will heal itself in good time. Be patient, you'll get there - it'll be uncomfortable & probably painful but it's only temporary. Good luck, keep us posted!

Hi,thank you so much for your reply I really appriciate it and its nice to hear of some other horse people who have had it happen and have had a good outcome.I wasn't doing anything nearly as exciting as sking,I was actually just mounting a horse from a log and as i started to swing my right leg over the saddle I felt and heard an awful pop.it was agony I was out on a trail ride on my own an hour hack from home,after the initial shock of the pain I got my knee semi comfortable and headed back to the yard thinking id just strained ot,it settled after 10-15 mind and i trotted and cantered on my way back carried on as normal,it was when i got back and dismounted I realized I actually couldn't put any weight on it without it giving way under me.hopped about sorted out the horses and went home next day it was agony and the size of a football.mri confirmed acl tear and recommend surgery,I wasn't expecting an appointment till end march/april time so just come all of a sudden and got myself abit scared.I've been riding and doing most thngs as normal wearing a brace and anti inflammitories have helped but pain and swelling most days so i know the surgery is the best option.
Its such a shame you couldn't get the surgery but you sound like you get on brilliant now and it hasn't stopped ypu riding and enjoying horses which is my main thing so you really have reassured me no end thank you so much :)

No probs, I had a leg brace & crutches for a while and then I was given a separate leg brace to wear during sports. I still have it somewhere I expect but I no longer wear it.

It's funny as it was total agony when it happened, after a few minutes the pain went but I just couldn't walk! Twisting was quite sore but direct pressure less so - and I couldn't walk up stairs, it's just like my leg refused to function, there was no power in my knee at all!

I'm sure you'll be in & out of hospital in a day, I don't expect they'll need to keep you in overnight will they? I think the surgery itself should be quite quick. I'm sure you will be just fine.

You described it exactly it was the most bizarre feeling!I find I have days where I feel like my knee is made of jelly its the only way to describe it when someone asks what its like most odd sensation!
They said I will be in and out in a day as long as you don't take a funny turn with the sleepy stuff(not even gonna try and spell the word!) So that's good,I've got everything in place for malaika my mum even came to the yard this afternoon to learn how to put her head collar on so i know she's ok for a little while till im able to do her again and we enjoy our ground work so can do plenty of that for a few months :)
physio starts 2 days after surgery so they get you moving quick,on a plus side alot of athletes say they find their knee better than it was before the injury after surgery so it certainly is a proven procedure.im not sure how long the surgery is I have an appointment with the surgeon on friday to talk through a few things but I don't imagine it long at all.

They actually advocate not operating more regularily now than they use to - it tends to be a genetic recommendation though. At one of the rugby clubs I did a placement at, there were two guys from Tonga - both had double acl rips but due to their build (very muscular) and their predisposition to tears, they prescribed intensive physio and they were back playin high level rugby in 2months!

As you say it is a common procedure and done regularly. Physio exercises need to be taken seriously to protect the new acl - the muscles around the knee stabilise the joint as much as the acl - the acl should be a last resort for stabilising the knee ie when the muscles fail then the acl steps in.

Hiya thank you for the reply,wow those guys are amazing going back dpi g rugby after 2 months that's a really positive thing to know thank you.
I've been doing physio since I done it and my knee is stronger but I still have days when its wobbley and his advise because of my age is to have it done as it gives way on me he said I would most likely get arthritis later on but your right I know if they feel your knee is strong enough they don't give you surgery now.
My main issue I have been having is things like playing with my dog out in the woods where we live I used to run around all over but if I hit a rut in the floor my knee can't stabalise me and the snow has been a nightmare,if I slip it just doesn't hold me if it twists I go down,as daft as it sounds I said to my friend the other day you don't realise how much your knee does for you until its not working properly.
The rehab and physio is the main part of recovery not the surgery I know if you don't do that the surgery is pointless,I have sessions been booked in already and I've managed to borrow some things for home,weights,freestanding bike and have a programme of exercises and the stages in which to do them.
Thanks again for the info,its much appriciated :)

newrider.com