Has anybody bought the first horse they viewed?

Lou77

Nov 2, 2011
Sorry if this has been asked before but has anybody bought the first horse they went to view & not even bothered to view any others because he or she ticked all the boxes & was "the one"?

It's just happened to me & the only doubt I have is that he literally is the first I looked at but he really does tick all the boxes as far as I'm concerned. He's not perfect but any faults & evasions he does have I can live with. I spent 2 1/2 hours with him & his very genuine owner & am feeling either lucky or bonkers!

When I go for my second viewing & 2 pick him up I will be taking an experienced & unbiased horsey person for a second opinion so come on fellow horsey people, let me know what you think!

Lou x :happy:

Dont see anything wrong with it - whilst I didnt buy her, I loaned (and then subsequently) bought the first pony, and rascal was the first "companion pony" i viewed and he came home too :D

Oh God yes! It's my trademark :redface:

In fact, I've only ever walked away from one horse! I'm rubbish......

Last edited:
Yep, went to see a youngster (scraggy little thing) a few months ago and we'd picked her up within a week!

There's nothing wrong with being lucky! If you feel that click and have put the horse through it's paces then go for it :)

Glad I'm not the only one, it happened with my first pony too but I did have her on loan first!

Me, despite only going to see Raf because the horse I rang about had been sold and the seller talked me into going to see Rafi instead. He was still a colt and far too young to be suitable for a novice like me, but I went to see him anyway, fell in love, and put down my deposit before I left.

I've had him 18 months now and never regretted buying him for a minute!

Yes never had to go to see a second one ever and not regreted any of the purchases........ 4, 5 and 6 are still with us.......... No 1 was only sold due to family circumstances over 30 years ago, no 2 died and No3 was PTS - the other 3 are with us for life (hopefully)

Yep loads, only "backfired" once I bought a horse that ended up having schooling problems due to a bad back from really ill fitting tack. I was hoping to keep her to take to Uni with me but she wasn't as established in her schooling as I wanted so we sorted her back out, brought her on a little then sold her on.

I bought Star after that and I would have literally bought him from the advert! But my parents were adament I took my time this time round (still made an offer after the first viewing!) :giggle:

I went one better and bought one I didn't even view cause I wasn't even horse hunting.

She was a naughty RS pony and hubby was pestering me to make the leap and buy a horse. My RI happened to mention Joy wad on working livery and in get view the owners would sell her in the future. The rest us history.

I know for a fact that my lack of confidence would have meant couldn't have gone through the horse hunting process and would have continued at the RS.

I do worse than that, I buy them unseen and get them put on the boat for me to discover whether I have done the right thing at my leisure!

Ashamedly yes I kind of did. I went to a RS to see two horses. He was the second I rode, but the first I saw. I fell in love with his kind eye and the fact that he was unashamedly unaware of any crap going on around him. All he wanted to do was find a place to scratch his butt. My kind of bloke.
Sadly things haven't worked out the way I wished. He's been retrained, I've fallen off multiple times and we're now under vet investigation for lameness but I'm ever hopeful. I tried him three times before buying, I would probably have made the same mistake a second time around as well even knowing what I know now!]
Good luck for your new horsey! More info required!

Yes both Victory and Amee!

Luckily Victory was through my RI and Amee through a friend.

Harvey however, who was around the third one I viewed when looking for another horse has proved to be the bad one :giggle:

Yep.

June and jazz were both up at the same time. I decided I wanted a companion for my old mare and took June. As much as jazz was nice and all that I prefered her, she was in a bad state. I got a text at 9am to say she was for sale and by 9.45 I ha agreed to buy her over the phone

Jazz came back up 5 months later and I went with the mindset he was coming home as well. I wanted him as well first time round when he was sold as a yearling but could only afford 1 at the time.

After Lucy went back after my accident I had livery money for another horse burning a hole on my pocket And knew which one I wanted
Doctor told me my riding career was over anyway so why not get another 11 hand pony

Wow...I don't feel quite as crazy as my friends say I am now lol. Thing is if he hadn't sounded like he was what I'm looking for when I first called to see if he was still available, I wouldn't have went to see him! I would have taken him home there & then if I could tho!

Will be posting the full story & pics of him & Misty as soon as the dust has settled.

Lou x

Yep, xander was the first and only horse I've ever 'viewed' and I knew he was coming home with me before I actually even saw him. He was 18 months then, he's 4.5 now and he's never going anywhere :)

And I married the first man I was serious with (previous longest relationship was 2 months ;) ).

And we bought the first & only house we viewed.

And I bought the first & only lorry I saw... Hmm bit impulsive do you think??!

And very happy with all of them & would have bought the same even if I'd seen 100 more of each of them!

Last edited:
newrider.com