Has a hopping lame haflinger :(

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
And no idea why.

I don't want to boxrest. He can still walk, would you turnout? He's a nightmare to keep in 24/7

Poor boy :(

could be an abscess? they have a habit of just appearing and making them hopping lame. maybe give it a day or two to see if he walks it off and then get the vet/farrier in case it's something more sinister/cut out an abscess

That's a possibility! How long would you give it before calling vet? Few days? He's his usual cheeky self but obviously if it gets worse I will ring vet

One of my Icelandics is hopping. An abscess on each front hoof. He is barely walking and so miserable.

I have given him Danilon (which he is now refusing), the farrier has had a dig in both hooves and we are dressing it.

I feel so sorry for him.

He is in a less soggy field and turned out with a friend.

Constant choccie biscuits too! xx

Just one front one. Come to think of it he was very slightly lame on the same one a week ago but then came sound after a day off. Maybe just wasn't fully recovered? He can walk on it but is obviously lame and if you try to trot him looks awful.

If you are sure it's not a leg as in tendon and swelling then I would carry on turning out. If you are thinking along abscess lines - specially if he hates being in. Could you ring vet tomorrow for advice?

Just a thought - is he out with a big herd? Does he come in at night? Just wondering if he might be glad of a break and to come in for a while - as when they are not quite right they can sometimes be glad of a break from the herd and having to join in if you like. But then again if he's the only one in that can bring it's own set of problems, like having nobody to keep him company...

Thinking abcsess with all the wet weather etc. I would wait and see how it goes, ring farrier as oppose to vet. I wouldn't let a vet have a dig.
Are you shod or unshod? Could a stone have gone under the shoe?

I would always get the vet if my horse was hopping lame. Its not worth letting it get worse and you will feel dreadful if its something that could have been treated and got worse when ledft. While it may well be an abscess, no one can diagnose over the internet.

If suspect an abcess get your farrier to have a look.

I would ring your vet for advice too.

If mine I would still turn out but if an abcess and farrier left any holes I would keep in as dirt could get in and infect it further plus if poulticing cant go out.

I know I should ring the vet promptly but unfortunately my vet is double call out for boxing day which is nearly £100. He can walk and put weight on the leg I ment hopping as it is bad but he can easily walk if he needs too. If I call the vet out and it is just a strained muscle or something they can do nothing for then that's a lot of money for me. I will see how he is tomorrow and call vet if needed or farrier.

I hate stabling my horse, but if he was lame and I didn't know why, I would err on the side of caution and keep him in until I could get the vet the next day. There are too many unknowns, plus it's going to be windy tonight and I wouldn't want to risk him running around in the wind and making anything worse.

I'm not experienced in lameness and would be clueless about what to do, but I know that my knowledgeable and trusted YO would advise to keep in to be on the safe side.

I have messaged my farrier to ask them to look at it tomorrow am, it does sound like it may be an abscess.

Apparently its not uncommon for a horse with a abscess to be lame, come sound for a few days and then come in with worse lameness that gets much worse.

I hate stabling my horse, but if he was lame and I didn't know why, I would err on the side of caution and keep him in until I could get the vet the next day. There are too many unknowns, plus it's going to be windy tonight and I wouldn't want to risk him running around in the wind and making anything worse.

I'm not experienced in lameness and would be clueless about what to do, but I know that my knowledgeable and trusted YO would advise to keep in to be on the safe side.

He's in tonight anyway :) just wanted to put him out for a little bit tomorrow as he gets very stressed out otherwise. I have text my YO just don't want to ring her as its boxing day, sure she is at a party

I have messaged my farrier to ask them to look at it tomorrow am, it does sound like it may be an abscess.

Apparently its not uncommon for a horse with a abscess to be lame, come sound for a few days and then come in with worse lameness that gets much worse.

mine did just that (but then she is weird like that) when she had an abscess

How would I know it was definitelyb an abscess? Would the farriers be able to tell. I've heard that horses with abscesses look like they have a broken leg but he isnt that bad really, just very obviously sore. No heat in the hoof or anything

newrider.com