Harvey's keratoma op - further update (pics)

Sparky Lily

Nov 27, 2008
Yell, Shetland
Harvey is progressing very well. It is now six weeks since his operation to remove the tumour, and the hoof wall is growing down well.

The plastic shoe which was glued on after the op was taken off today. Our farrier then put on a bar shoe to give him a bit extra support (with quarter clips as a toe clip would be no use whatsoever!)

We put some elastoplast on afterwards just to keep the worst off the open bit, but he doesn't need a full dressing any more. What's more, now he's shod he can be turned out if it's dry (hooray!) and he can start coming back into work very soon. He's lost a bit of muscle tone during his 6 weeks box rest, but otherwise he's looking and feeling very well. I'll lunge him to start with, but one of the students can sit on him first when he's ready. They're younger, fitter and better riders than either me or my OH, and he will almost certainly be very lively!

First pic is after the plastic shoe was removed. (The liquid is the water used to clean up the site, not any discharge from it). The second is after the bar show was put on.

P1000334.jpg

P1000338.jpg

that looks disgusting but at least it is looking clean, hope he grows his hooves very fast so you can get back on, usually takes a year or so to fully grow back or am i wrong

Yes it takes about a year to grow right down. We can see over a centimetre growth in the six weeks since the operation. His foot is a lot more stable now he has the metal shoe on. The site is healing very well and is firm and dry to touch. The vet may have to pare back some proud flesh (I promise I won't post pics of that!), but it won't be too long before it is left open.

Harvey is now well and truly fed up with box rest. His treat ball no longer amuses him, apart from kicking it off the back wall of the stable like a disgruntled little boy. Please can we have a few warm dry days so he can be turned out!!

I was going to say that looks like good and healthy growth there, even if it does look dramatic. Things are certainly going in the right direction and I really hope you'll continue to put progress shots up as I'd love to see them.

Yes I know. I am worried about Minnie and Sparkly Lilly kindly pointed me to her old Keratoma thread on here (from the FB page). Harvey is doing great and all turned out well for him.

Harvey is fine! This all happened before we moved to Shetland. He has a mark on the hoof wall where the keratoma was, but that's all. He has been living out, without shoes, in frequenty boggy conditions, for nearly 2 years now. A really good outcome. I am keeping everything crossed for Minnie now.

Omg I love it when I can get instant updates. I can't believe I could think back to all of this and the outcome. Never did have the best memory.

newrider.com