Harness sizing

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
I'd like to get a starter harness for Ziggy. I've read the threads on here about which harness to buy, but I am finding the sizing difficult. When a seller on Dragon Driving says "Cob size" would it fit a chunky 14.2 Ziggy? Or would it drown him? Is there any rhyme or reason to it?

If there isn't I might buy a new webbing harness just so I can exchange it when it doesn't fit him!

I brought Hank a cheap mini Shetland size leather harness and it drowned him, luckily I have a saddler/harness maker friend so just had it made to fit him.
I would assume that cob size in harness is much like cob size in anything else... a medium somewhere between pony and full but different depending on brand and the day ;) I would probably measure a few bits of Ziggy and ask sellers to confirm the measurements of the harness if you want to go that route, heart girth, trace tip to trace tip & bit to bit should be enough to get an idea of if it will fit :)

my 15hh cob boy was a full for the bridle, and some parts of the harness were to small in cob size. He had a mixture of full and cob parts in the end! things shouldnt be on the last hole

My 15.2 HW cob is a full in nearly everything except his harness ! Some parts are full size one part of it is even a pony ! :eek:

If I were you - I'd probably go for a Libbys one or Robbies synthetic one that way you can swap it if needs be.

I have a cheap and cheerful one and it's a full size.
You may need to buy in your own reins, I sold on the reins as I hate cheap feeling ones. Couldn't put up those even to long rein.

Our normal bridle is full with pony cheek so more Arab type.

There is a photo somewhere of her in it.

Yes it's doing the job I wanted it for, considering what it cost it is well made. I haven’t broken anything and nothing has come apart etc.
That said if I wanted to start her properly I would buy a leather one or at least a better quality synthetic.

Hang on let me go and nosey.

Its similar to this one. I paid around £50, gave the bridle to Cortrasna for her stall.

http://petssafe.co.uk/horse/horsewear.html

Not wanting to hijack your thread, but have a look around the site. Most if not all items get listed for more money on eBay than is sold from the main site.
EBay has brought in a reason to return an item if you find it for sale cheaper elsewhere.
So your harness, if bought direct from the main site could save you cash:)

Last edited:
What I do want is a bag to be able to store it in when not in use.
It's currently in a storage box and doesn't really fit as the bareback pad is in there as well.

My 14.1 fits a cob size harness, however it has needed some additional holes adding in places. The bridle was the most difficult as the blinkers sat to low down his head. His riding bridle is a combination on full and cob sized parts. I have a 2nd harness I brought from a friend which fitted her 14.2, however its on the last holes on my 14.1. It depends on the horse, but I would go for cob. A full might swap Ziggy too much. I paid £150 for my new leather harness. It is a cheap leather I would say, however it has served me well. I used it for tyre pulling and chain harrowing.
I hang all my harness on a saddle rack. It works perfect for storing. I can put each section on it one after the other in the order that I take it off/tack up.

newrider.com