Harness for Sledges - Russia and Norway

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
Mods please leave this in the Members' section as it is a response to Frances' Diary.
Frances, Ilove it that you posted photos of the horses attached to the sleds.

http://myshetland.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/BN2A3753.jpg

I have been meaning to upload some pics I took of paintings showing horses pulling Russian sleds, so that Wally and Gimp and others might explain.
I asked Frances whether the long wooden pieces at the side served as brakes. This is a well known pic of Count Orlov who bred the first Orlov Trotters, It looked to me as if a driver could put his foot down on the end, and press is on the ground to slow the sled or prevent it sliding into the horse.

OrlovcropECW_3187-1_zps2vigpryk.jpg
[/URL]

I have so many questions not just about the shafts and wood rails trailing, but about how the harness works and why Russians use this big wooden hoop over the top.

lovely paintings Skib, thanks for sharing. Are these yours? I loved the pictures from Frances’s trip too.

Jane I was hoping Wally and Gimp might throw some light on this. I know nothing. But am very interested in the history and in horses in Russia. And collected tourist photos for this purpose. All that I deduced was that a four wheel vehicle (when there is no snow) might replace the sled. But a two wheel vehicle (used in racing) would not be like a sledge.

newrider.com