Hard to bridle horse

Sd55

Apr 19, 2020
My horse has difficulty opening his mouth when bridling. He tends to clamp down and not let you place the bit in his mouth. He also does the same thing when removing the bridle. He will not drop the bit he clamps his mouth shut raises his head, which means that i cannot hold the bridle up anymore as he is close to 17 hands and eventually after throwing his head around the whole bridle assembly falls to the ground. Please help.

Without seeing you putting on and taking off the bridle it's impossible to give any advice, though I very much doubt he has difficulty opening his mouth and if he does you need a vet because that would be a physical problem. Some questions to consider though.

How does he behave when you put a headcollar on and off?

How well does your bridle fit? Is any of it tight?

Where do you stand to put the bridle on and take it off? And how do you hold it?

What's he like for someone else to put the bridle on and off?

If you could get someone to video it and post it here then maybe we could give some ideas.

Agree with all the above. My cob was the same when I got him. Checked everything and all fine. He's stubborn, and I'm lazy, so I found that a mint, with the bit ready to go in, did the trick. He's brilliant now. I know many don't agree with bribery and it's the only time I've tried it, but it did work.

newrider.com