Hard feed what a shocker

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
I know I go on about this all the time but it is something close to my heart.

I took my scales down to the yard yesterday as my new micronizeed (sp) linseed arrived and wanted to make sure I was feeding the right amount. Now I am an avid baker and am quite good at guessing the weight of food stuff and was secretly quite chuffed that when I weighed out what I thought was 100g was actually spot on.

So I thought I would weigh the recommended amount of the rest of the boys feed. Fu*k me that's a lot of food I would be bankrupt with fat and lively horses.

For info I feed Bailey's No 4 Top line conditioner both boys are in between light to medium work based on the packet. Light would be 2.8kg medium 5.5kg Have you ever weighed out that amount.

My stubbs scoop (weighed separately) takes 1Kg so I would need to feed at least 4 stubbs scoops a day. Plus the chaff of at least 2kg well chaff is pretty much weightless so can you imagine how many of them I would have to feed.

So that's about 10 stubbs scoops of feed per day, bear in mind you should only feed 2kg per feed they would need at least 3 feeds to get all that in.

At present they get 1 stubbs of chaff and half a stubb of baileys a day and they don't always finish that. Plus they look great and have enough energy to do they work required.

I do worry about were they get the information from about amount of feed horses.

Anyone else actually weighed there horses feed? or am I just sad.

Do i actually weigh my feed-yes most definitely. I like to know what she is getting and i have 3 different size scoops. I usually use the stubbs to keep my apples in. Hardly ever need to fill that up.
According to the bag she isn't in light work at all. 3times per week is resting! She isn't even being fed, an apple plus 2 carrots is all she has.

I wanted to add in vit and mineral supplement, but vet didn't want anything processed and unnecessary going in. She is healthy, looks healthy. If that changes then i will deal with it.

Last edited:
This is why I feed wither a blancer or a general supp to make sure they get what they need vits wise as if I had to feed the recommended amount on the bags cobby would be massive and laminitic to boot :cry:

As it is I feed alfalfa and it was spillers lite balancer but I've changed to oats and naf general supp as lacking energy and I feed a round scoop of alfalfa and half a scoop of oats with the supplement everyday :) when competing its alfalfa, topspec turbo and power and performance and the supp every day half a scoop of alfalfa and P+P and two cups of topsec turbo :smile:

If I had to fee the reommended on the bags for the high energy feeds I think I would have an eruption :giggle: as it is we are full of ourselves for the warm ups :giggle:

Hmm, ok, I think after popularfurballs comments re changing to an all in one feed of happy hoof or something, and what you're saying tonight obc, i think I'll stick with the balancer and handful of chaff my boy is already on. It's scary!!

I go by how my horse looks and behaves... if he's not getting enough, he looses condition so I up his feed accordingly, and keep an eye on him. Up to now, the formula is working for him, and he's pretty trim (when the weather and grazing improves, I decrease his feed)..
He currently has:
Just under half a scoop of pony nuts ( the red round scoop)
a scoop of alfa-a (loosened)
a straight scoop of speedi-beet (doesn't get that in the summer)
sliced carrots and an apple.
Cider vinegar
In his tea feed only, Maxaflex (one level scoop)
His brekki is half that of his tea, apart from the nuts.

Well when Dengie came to weigh ours she said Rosie was pretty perfect weight (if perhaps a little over weight) but for a retired unrugged 25yr old who lives out 24/7 she was really pleased. When I told her she just gets a scoop of Good Doer once a day to entertain her whilst the others are fed she went onto recommend that I fed her 6 scoops per day - like why?!? She would explode weight wise!!!

newrider.com