Happy Hoof for fat old girl??

horsemad

Jul 16, 2001
Belfast, N. Ireland
Visit site
My beautiful 21 year old mare has been erm....'rounded' since I've known her. :rolleyes: But she is going through a particularly porky phase and I would like her to lose a bit of weight.

She is currently fed a small amount of hard feed - a mixture of Slim & Healthy (which she isn't keen on - she eats it last!) and Spillers Herbal Mix (which she loves). I have been cutting her feed down over the past number of months, but don't want to reduce it further because I would worry she wouldn't get enough of the right vitamins and minerals.

So, I'm thinking of changing her feed. What I want is something which will keep her slim, but will give her all the nutrients she needs and will give her enough energy for the sort of light work I want to do with her. I've heard Happy Hoof is good for tubby neds. Can it be used as a complete feed? Anyone use it for their good do-ers?

I've used happy hoof with all my horses, who have all be very good doers, and I love it and they love it!! They can eat tonnes compared to other feed, so they feel full but don't get fat! And its laminitis society approved! I would defientley reccomend it!

petal's had nothing else for the last 2 years! she's been working fairly hard and has gained muscle on it, so it's obviously all she needs, and she's stayed well covered on it too. i feed a supplement with it too, as she doesn't get the recommended amount.

I use a mixture of Happy Hoof and Dengie Good Doer. Personally I would not feed Mix of any sort for a good doer in light work, especially at this time of year.
I would use Happy Hoof/good doer/happy dieter etc with a good vit and min supplement. I find Happy Hoof is liked more as it is a complete feed and has 'things' in it that resemble mix bits etc and is more molassed that Good Doer. Have a look at both

www.dengie.com

www.spillers-feeds.com

I had the opposite problem Rhi was placed on Happy Hoof and did not like it and went onto Slim and Healthy

These neds have very definite likes and dislikes, don't they? :D

Cindy has always been very predictable in the way she eats her food. Up until now, she has had Slim and Healthy in her manger, along with an apple, carrots and turnip cut up. Also a handful of Herbal Mix in her feed ball.

EVERY time, she does the same thing - picks out the apple and carrots from her manger but leaves the Slim and Healthy and the turnip. Then goes straight to the feed ball to get some of the Herbal Mix, then moves on to her haylage. Eventually she gets round to eating the turnip and Slim and Healthy in her manger - obviously she isn't keen, but she'll eat them if there is nothing else. :rolleyes:

Spoilt? Cindy? Never...... ;)

newrider.com