Happy days.. slightly O/T

heffalump

Jul 6, 2009
Hey all

Not sure where to post this, but I'm having a super great day so I thought I'd post and share the love!

Tomorrow is my last day as a baby doctor, from Wednesday I have the word 'senior' in my title.. and I have a little brand new baby doctor to boss around! ;) I can't believe I have been working like a demon for a year - and made it out alive! My boss keeps teasing me about having a 'license to kill' (I'm fully registered now!).. I'm so bouncy and happy about it all! I'm slightly nervous about starting the new job on Wednesday - I think I have to be suddenly very grown up!

Also I got my first personalised thank you card and a box of chocs from a patient today.. eeeeeep! I nearly burst into tears!

When I first started this job I was informed of my consultants (and other surgeons) weekly breakfast club and their monthly curry club. I was told I'd need to earn my wings before I could join them, and it was strictly invitation only.. I've been in the breakfast club for three weeks and today I got my curry club invite! So I guess that means I've earned my wings and I'm not a total numpty at work! woohoo!

Annnnddd....

I went to a local tack shop after work - I've written out an advert on the suggestion of the owner who I met a few weeks back.. I got there and she had kept a couple of numbers aside for me of horses she thought were suitable..

Anywho, overall I'm in an incredibly happy bouncy mood and just wanted to share.. I'm sorry if this is O/T!
:D:D

Last edited:
Congratulations!

Thought I'd be the first to congratulate you on becoming a SHO (or ST or CT1- whatever it is now) even if it is a little off topic as its nice to see another horse mad doctor on here! Don't be nervous about Wednesday changeover - you'll probably spend the whole day in tedious induction anyways!:p And I'm positive you don't have to start being terribly grown up (at least I haven't started yet and I'm a registrar)!!!!:D

Good luck with horsey - I haven't taken the plunge with buying my own due to my concerns about needing full livery due to on call commitments. But I know it can be done as a friend of mine has managed to do it! If it was me, and I knew the horse was perfect in other ways, I'd probably go for it and hope I could work on the 'nutty at fun rides thing'. I'm sure you'll know what's right though.

Once again, congratulations - on both counts!:)

lol, I'm more worried about being the medical SHO on call overnight more than anything! I'm staying in the same hospital so I get to avoid the tedious induction - by being on call! yay :rolleyes:

I'm so excited there is another horsey doc on here - all my friends think I'm mildly insane!

I'm quite lucky in that my mum wants to do a lot of the looking after - other wise I'd deffo have to be on full livery somewhere..

Thanks for congrats, I'm a wee bit excitable tonight!:D:D

Congratulations:D.

As for the speed demon on fun rides, my Skippy was one of lifes more perfect horses - apart from fun rides:D. He was so fab in every other way that it really didnt matter.

I find the 'licence to kill' bit a tad worrying;):p,but apart from that congrats and well done!!

On the horse front,well I guess it depends on if you want to do fun rides or not lol.If it isn't that important to you,then don't worry about it and give it a go.

Just had a thought though,if he get's excited on things like fun rides,is it because of being in the company of a few other horses?? Would this apply if you wanted to ride out with a group?? Probably not,but a question I would ask if it was me,would be a shame if you had to miss out on group rides at your yard because the horse couldn't be trusted.

Many congratulations! You sound as if you have worked very hard and really deserve those 'wings'.

If it was me, I would wait until I was just a little more settled in the day job before I made another major change (becoming a horse owner!) simply because it’s so important to get right. But then the very nature of what you do must make you level-headed under stress and pressure. And I am a scatty blonde :)

Try the horse as much as you need and don't ignore niggling concerns. If you ride him out and find he is more excitable than you are comfortable with then he is not for you, there really are plenty of horses out there.

I have been looking on and off for a few months and am yet to fine 'the one', I'm not overly concerned because when the time is right and the horse is right I will know. So will you :)

I feel like a total horse tart at the moment.. I've got a few on the go! lol

Had my last day - super exciting, got given lots of scrumptious wine and hugs! Now I have to be a grown up :eek:

Horses I'm looking at the moment: 16.1hh 11yo grey TB gelding, 16.1hh 6yo grey TB mare, 17hh 13yo dark bay warmblood gelding (<-- current front runner) and the one from last night 16.2hh 12yo grey IDxTB gelding (although more TB).. All ranging from £1000 to £3000.

The warmblood gelding is a new find, just got off phone from with the owner and am grinning from ear to ear, does it jinx it if I link to his advert?
:D

Many congratulations! You sound as if you have worked very hard and really deserve those 'wings'.

If it was me, I would wait until I was just a little more settled in the day job before I made another major change (becoming a horse owner!) simply because it’s so important to get right. But then the very nature of what you do must make you level-headed under stress and pressure. And I am a scatty blonde :)

Try the horse as much as you need and don't ignore niggling concerns. If you ride him out and find he is more excitable than you are comfortable with then he is not for you, there really are plenty of horses out there.

I have been looking on and off for a few months and am yet to fine 'the one', I'm not overly concerned because when the time is right and the horse is right I will know. So will you :)

I did think about waiting, well actually I started looking well before change over - I thought I'd have a horse by now!

I'm just being a little impatient, having waited nigh on 7 years to get my own horse again..

I never remember horsehunting being like this tho - I'm sure as a youngster we always bought pretty much the first we saw!

There's a rumour floating around that I'm level headed under pressure - but its nonsense. My work self and my personal self are two different people, at work I'm fairly calm, but outside work I've been known to have a few freak outs! lol;):D

I feel like a total horse tart at the moment.. I've got a few on the go! lol

Horses I'm looking at the moment: 16.1hh 11yo grey TB gelding, 16.1hh 6yo grey TB mare, 17hh 13yo dark bay warmblood gelding (<-- current front runner) and the one from last night 16.2hh 12yo grey IDxTB gelding (although more TB).. All ranging from £1000 to £3000.

Just thought I'd update on the horse hunting situation..

Been to see one tonight - the 16.2 12yo grey. Unfortunately not 'the one'. Far too many issues for me.

Off to see 16.1 11yo grey TB, the 16.1 6yo grey and a 16.2 15yo black gelderlander tomorrow..

I'm thoroughly exhausted of looking online, in tack shops, RS's... I've placed ads in the tack shops, in the hospital, I've badgered friends, spoke to YO's.. I know my horse is out there somewhere - just wish someone would tell me where!

I have seen one online that I have fallen head over hoof in lust with.. but not exactly what I was originally looking for.. a 2yo :)eek:) to make 16.2/3, IDxTbxGypsy Cob, absolutely bloody BEAUTIFUL.. I have had young horses in the past and have broken a couple, but I know in my heart of hearts I don't have the time and would need to send him away for the work, but I can't get the begger out of my head!:D

newrider.com