Hands up who is good at bridle cleaning?!!!

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I REALLY need to watch somebody take apart and then put back together a bridle. I am sooooo useless. I dismantled Joe's old bridle and "tried" to put it back as I found it. Rubbish. It looks lop-sided. No horse in the world would go well in it. I need something Sara Stetner like to show me (only somebody who knows what they're actually doing!!!!!)
Anybody on NR fancy making a "how-to" film?!!!!!!!!
How come some of you are so good at this taking tack apart caper????????? I have tried but failed. I am dreading having to do a good clean on Storm's every day bridle. There is a limit to how much and how good I can get it clean without undoing everything. I'm scared! I know it won't go back together like it was.
Help! (Books don't help me at all, I have dozens of them detailing in words how to but it just does not sink in at all!!!)

We have a show on Saturday so I'll be tack-cleaning tomorrow, I'm happy to make you a vid if you like :) Would you like a snaffle bridle, or a double bridle, or something with a fancy noseband or unusual bit? Ooh or I could do you a hackamore? Put in your requests!

ETA this will be a special effort on my part as TBH I don't usually take the bridle apart to clean it :giggle:

ETAA if you put it back together and it's lopsided, it might mean you put it back in different holes! When you take it apart make note of which holes all the buckles were done up on.

Last edited:
We have a show on Saturday so I'll be tack-cleaning tomorrow, I'm happy to make you a vid if you like :) Would you like a snaffle bridle, or a double bridle, or something with a fancy noseband or unusual bit? Ooh or I could do you a hackamore? Put in your requests!

Ah fantastic!!!!!

I just have a plain snaffle bridle! (Anything else is beyond my capability lol)
That would be great if you made a wee film - I would be eternally grateful (and so would Mr T as he has to listen to me grumbling from the tack room often!!!!)

A friend of mine came running across to me at a show, 30 minutes before the driving class with a pillow case, She'd taken all her harness to bits to clean it and couldn't put it back together again!

Because I am a nice person I put it back together for her and refitted it.....and she won!

A friend of mine came running across to me at a show, 30 minutes before the driving class with a pillow case, She'd taken all her harness to bits to clean it and couldn't put it back together again!

Because I am a nice person I put it back together for her and refitted it.....and she won!

I am dreading the day my boss's mum asks me to do this!

Gosh Mrs T how could you struggle over this. As you know I clean every bridle after every ride and once a week take them both home to take apart to do it properly.

Looking forward to Joosie video to see how to do it right

Hahahahaa, that was kind of you!!!!

Gosh Mrs T how could you struggle over this. As you know I clean every bridle after every ride and once a week take them both home to take apart to do it properly.

t

Argh! That is scary...........! You are VERY VERY disciplined!!!! I "think" about taking mine apart, but as I said, I had a go with Joe's old one and quite frankly, if a horse were to try it on, well, I dread to think......(it would have to be an odd shaped horse!lol)

:D Love it! Hope she bought you a 'bottle'!

Putting a bridle back together is really simple, start with the headpiece, put the browband on (the right way, facing away from the throatlash!) slide the noseband headstrap up through the browband loop and down the other side (so the noseband faces the same way as the browband) and buckle. Attach cheek pieces. Then attach bit, and reins. :)

I can honestly say, from the age of about 7 or 8, I've been able to take apart and re-assemble bridles, and single harness from the age of about 10 or 11.

Yes, when we got our first pony's harness, it came in 2 bin-bags, in pieces and was filthy! :D It was like Christmas for me!

Pairs harness - just getting my head around the Hungarian style sets, which are different to English style.

Every time you ride and every week???
Not even admitting to my slackness!

Yes it is very sad I know but I just hate putting anything dirty on my boys. Everything is washed within an inch of it's life. Saddle clothes are changed once a week so as I have two saddles that means they get used 3 times each before washing and I am just as sad with their boots.

i need a life

Yes it is very sad I know but I just hate putting anything dirty on my boys. Everything is washed within an inch of it's life. Saddle clothes are changed once a week so as I have two saddles that means they get used 3 times each before washing and I am just as sad with their boots.

i need a life

I just don't have the time or inclination and as my boy is quite happy to wallow in his own :poop: I don't worry too much about things being a tad grubby.
I am a bit OCD with dog blankets and recently got a huge top loader washer for my garage to clean their vet bedding and its handy for rugs too.
Good on you for your discipline. You should run boot camp weekends and teach us all a few tricks! I have to kick myself up the bum every now and again.

I am shamed into cleaning my tack now and will take it home after riding tonight :giggle:

You have to remember I am in the military so it is second nature to me. I also don't have children so I don't have to rush home and I am the queen of multi tasking.

As I can't leave his tea in with him (I have to remove it and clean the bowl before I leave) I clean my bridle and saddle while he is eating it only takes a minute or two to wipe it over then sweep up.

I do work full time 8-5 and see to the boys before and after work and I ride on average 2 horses a night so get home between 8-9. I am very strict in my routine and can't leave until all the jobs are done.

If I was every stupid enough to have children (which I am not) than I imagine it would be very different. That said there are a lot of people at my yard that sit and have a cup of tea or 3! while they are there chatting. I do stop and have a drink but I normal have a bridle or saddle on my lap cleaning so it is not really a time thing but an inclination thing. I like it

You are the multi tasking queen!
Great time management. I was better at time management when i had a career and had less time to do things. Now I potter about more.
I'm with you on the kids front. 15 dogs are much easier to manage.

I used to teach care at a Pony Club Centre. One of the favourite activities was putting a bridle back together (another was tack cleaning!). But, surprisingly, one or two of the really good riders had a blind spot when it came to how the parts of the bridle fit together.

I always have to check which way the bit goes....I do normally have it right and I should be more confident by now but always better to ask :smile:

Excellent Wally to rescue :angel:

I've never had a problem with bridles, harness can be a bit confusing but have only put one on about 5 times.

newrider.com