Hand Injury

Jan 3, 2012
Hello all I broke my dominant hand in May a spiral fracture of my 5 th metacarpal bone since then I have had it pinned twice. It is nearly 6 weeks since my last op I can't make a fist my little finger is bent and all my fingers are stiff.Has anyone else had this injury if so how long did it take you to recover? Feeling pretty depressed and sorry for myself:frown:

Gosh, I'm sorry to hear about your hand. Given that your forum name is Boudicca I can't help but imagine that you broke it in an accident in your scythed chariot when one of your fearsome little dun war ponies ran riot. If you didn't, I hope that made you smile, anyway.

I'm sorry to say that broken hands take a long time to heal. I broke a finger badly about 10 years ago and it still has a bump and is stiffer to close than the same finger on the other hand. However, the bump is still getting smaller - after 10 years! - and I had full mobility and use back after 9 months or so.

I expect your physio has given you exercises to do, or will when the fracture has healed to working strength. Please be religious about doing them, they really help.

Healing vibes, and I hope you feel more cheerful soon. It must be such a pain :frown:

LOL Jane n Ziggy:bounce: sadly not a horse drawn chariot but a dog lead with a dog on the end desperate to get to the sea. 9months eh? And still a bump after 10 years. Looks like I'll have to be patient. No riding for at least three months, just when I've got the loan of a horse for the first time in my life:cry:
Thanks for the well wishes Trewsers much appreciated:biggrin:

Ah well, the perfect opportunity to get to know your share horse from the ground. Can't hold a rope? Ask Newforest about working at liberty!

I hope you told your dog what he had done. Bad dog! Poor you!

Its not the same but i broke my thumb couldn't do anything for about three months. I learnt to western ride in these three months parents weren't impressed as I was a kid at the time and also was the day before my first GCSE! Know the feeling though! Get better soon and maybe consider western :tongue::wink:

I had my op in April. My fingers are not responding to physiotherapy as well as hoped - my age doesn't help! - and the joint has fused. I think I have to accept that I will never have full use of my hand again. I can only suggest that you really work with the physio. It's very painful, I know, but vital to get the flexibility back.

Sorry to hear about the problems with your hand SL how old are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm 51. Been to physio today they seemed to think I am doing quite well but there are some concerns I have some symptoms of post op complications that get worse such as increased hair growth on affected hand swelling discolouration and affected hand warmer than the other. I am not having a lot of pain so they discounted it. So really hope not. Should be back at work on restricted duties week after next. Hang in there and keep doing the stretches:wink

Im sorry I have no knowledge of your injury or recovery expectations - just wanted to say I hope that you get better very quickly - it must be so irritating to be out of action like that. Hopefully you can try a bit of liberty work as Jane&Ziggy suggested?

newrider.com